Gavin Williamson is set to order an investigation into rape culture at universities

Reports of sexual assault made to universities have doubled in four years

Gavin Williamson is set to order an investigation into rape culture in universities.

The education secretary will launch the probe next week, reports The Sun, prompted by fears that the UK’s universities are failing to protect their students.

This term, The Tab has revealed that reports to universities have doubled in four years, and that just seven per cent of students report their sexual assault to their university.

The website Everyone’s Invited received over 1,000 accounts of assault and harassment from university students in just a week, with some universities named dozens of times.

Concern over universities’ handling of sexual misconduct cases is not new. Two students successfully sued Warwick over its handling of the group chat scandal, winning a payout.

Lawyer Georgina Calvert-Lee represented those students, and said universities risked lawsuits if they continued to badly handle cases.

“Universities are absolutely exposing themselves to lawsuits brought by victims of sexual assault, because they have a duty of care to their students,” Calvert-Lee told The Guardian.

The Sun reports that the Office for Students – which regulates universities – will carry out the investigation, and devise guidelines for universities.

If you or someone you know has been affected by this story contact Refuge on their free 24/7 helpline 0808 2000 247 or contact Rape Crisis online for a free confidential chat helpline.

The Tab’s Do Better campaign is putting a focus on the rising student sexual assault problem. Universities need to do more to support students and the culture around sexual assault needs to change.

If you have a story you want to share, please email [email protected].