Body found on campus near Waller Creek

The death is being investigated as a homicide

A dead body was found by Waller Creek this morning.

In an email, UTPD told students they responded to a call at 10:46 AM after reports of a deceased person to the west of the Alumni Center.

The death is being investigated it as a homicide. No suspects have been identified.

President Fenves sent out an e-mail shortly after the first confirming the information initially provided.

He said: “We are doing everything possible to ensure safety on campus.”

Classes are to continue as scheduled.

(UPDATE 2:36) “We are also working closely with Austin police to identify possible suspects. We are unable to release the name of the victim or any details until the family has been notified,” Fenves said in a statement earlier today.

All pathways going over and near the creek have been blocked.

Counseling services available for students: http://cmhc.utexas.edu or call 512-471-2255.

UTPD is asking for anyone with information about this to contact university police at 512-471-4441

(UPDATE 4:27) There will be a live stream of a press conference with UTPD at 4:30 on KXAN.com

(UPDATE 4:55) An email was sent to Theatre and Dance faculty, staff and students stating that all Theatre and Dance classes would be cancelled today.

It has been confirmed through Austin-Travis County Emergency Medical Services that the victim is a woman in her 20s.

Press conference will start shortly,  Fenves is on his way.

(UPDATE 5:21) President Fenves stated, “Our top priority is the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and visitors that come to the campus everyday.” He goes on to say that “this is a tragic day for every student who walks across our beautiful campus.”

A UTPD officer stated that the cause of death is still under investigation, and the body has not been identified. They will not be releasing information about the victim. The public will not know the name of the victim until the next of kin has been notified.

Fenves, UTPD and APD did not take any questions.

(UPDATE 9:20) Fenves has assured students who are on campus tonight that there will be officers of APD, UTPD and DPS will be patrolling.

Check back for updates on this developing story.

UT Austin