Rapping Temple professor promotes campus pride with new music video

Professor Aaron Smith did it again

Some schools might claim to have the best professors, but do they have a professor who makes rap music videos?

Luckily at Temple, we have Professor Aaron Smith from the Department of Africology and African American Studies, who does just that.

He not only proved Temple faculty could show campus pride, but he’s a reminder to students to recognize that we should all be fortunate to be at a school like ours.

Right after the football pep rally yesterday, Professor Smith grabbed the opportunity of the Temple cheerleaders’ presence to make a video showcasing Temple pride. After a few students gathered around him by the Bell Tower, more started to watch him perform a rap about Temple University.

Not to brag, but we are nationally ranked and located in one of the largest cities in the country with great job opportunities for students. But that’s no big deal.

This isn’t Professor Smith’s first time making headlines for his music videos. He went viral with a video last year- Temple students shared it via Twitter and Facebook. Many students now know him as the rapping professor.

This year, Professor Aaron Smith had a different goal for his freestyle and video. He first made “Panda Remix (OWL STYLE)” and followed it with his new video after the football pep rally at the Bell Tower.

We asked Professor Smith why dedicates to much time promoting the Temple community with his videos and his answer is just another reason why our school is the best.

Why did you decide to create this rap and post it on YouTube?

“I truly believe this is the best university in the world, and we are growing while other schools are shrinking for a reason. There is something very special about this place, and it is important that the world recognizes that. What better way to spread good news than on social media?”

What are your final thoughts of the video and what do you hope Temple students will learn from it?

“My thoughts on the video are, we are stronger, more capable, more beautiful and turnt up together- Owls unite!

I want students to be inspired, and feel supremely confident in the fact they made one of the best decisions of their life when they chose TEMPLE UNIVERSITY!”

Temple University