One dead in officer involved shooting near Cage apartments

Syracuse PD is still investigating

Last night shots were fired in the 600 block of Walnut Ave in an officer involved altercation.

According to Syracuse PD, on October 10th, at 10:52pm, a police officer pulled over a car and driver in the 600 block of Walnut Avenue. During what was supposed to be a routine traffic stop about the lights of the car not being turned on, the driver instead exited the vehicle and fired a gun several times at the officer who pulled him over. In response to this, the officer pulled out his weapon as well and shot at the driver. The driver had a history of weapons possession according to the Syracuse PD. While the driver did not hit the police officer, the officer did hit the driver at least once.

Syracuse PD is still investigating.

The driver was taken to Upstate University Hospital, as it is the only Level One Trauma Center in the area. The driver, Deric Brown, later died from his injuries.

It has been confirmed that the man was not a Syracuse University student, though it was recently released that he was hired as a temporary custodial employee in September by SU.

A witness at Cage told The Tab, “A male person of color, wearing a white shirt and jeans, was driving a white Nissan when we has was pulled over.”

After waiting the requisite 72 hours, the police officer involved has been named: Jose Mauro. Mauro, a member of the SU PD since 2001, has been placed on administrative leave until the Onondaga County DA’s office has completed its investigation. He has previously been accused of using excessive force in 2014.

Large parts of Walnut were blocked off last night, and as of 5am this morning, were still blocked off.

Multiple witnesses heard the gunshots in the area by the Cage apartments, and a heavy police and DPS presence was seen in the area by Walnut, East Adams, and Harrison.

There was no Orange Alert, or any information regarding our safety for a few hours and the SU campus was in an uproar, and a bit of a panic.

Almost three hours after the major events that occurred, Syracuse DPS and the Syracuse Police Department informed students what happened, assuring them there is no danger to the Syracuse University community.

Syracuse University