How to become healthy the Rutgers way

Put down that Fat Darrell and stay far, far away from Easton Ave

New Year, new you; right? As a student at Rutgers, you know how tough it is to be healthy when you’re surrounded by high carb, high fat foods and alcohol. The dining halls are home to some great healthy food options, but lets be real – who really eats salads when they’re stressed? The last thing in any of our minds is our health, but if we can learn to focus on ourselves more, maybe being healthier is the better outcome than being sluggish all the time.

Now, since Rutgers students pretty much survive off of Easton Ave’s wide array of all things greasy and fast, being healthy while on campus is definitely easier said than done. So, here are some tips to help you shed off that extra weight you’ve been carrying around since freshmen year.

Only eat out occasionally

Looks like Hansel N’ Griddle will have to wait. Oh, and Tacoria will have to wait too. Spending hours in line waiting to eat the high carb crisp that is served up at both of these places can not only save your waistline, but can also help you catch up on some much needed sleep. So, save the French toast and tacos for a cheat day – your wallet will thank you later.

Eating one fat sandwich instead of three a week

Put that Fat Darrell down

Fat sandwiches are literally available anywhere, anytime in New Brunswick. And with Rutgers being home to the one and only RU Hungry grease truck – and its infamous fat sandwich challenge – we know your heart just can’t give up your love for the sandwiches, but your heart probably will give out if you keep eating them. When visiting the RU Hungry truck, Dietitian Marcus Garand pointed out that the Fat Darrell has about 1,718 calories, 143 grams of carbohydrates, and 78 grams of fat, which is well over your recommended daily intake. Keep your eye on the prize people, not the sandwiches.

Eating green bowls from Playa bowls

Playa bowls is back in town, and you know you can’t resist having this delicious source of fruit back in your life. So when you’re too lazy to make your morning protein shake, or too hungover to make yourself breakfast after a night out, get your butt down to Playa bowls and get yourself a pink pitaya or strawberry banana shake and a green power bowl. Your body will thank you.

Finally deciding to go to Werblin 

Since College Ave houses the powerlifters – and you’re way too scared to show your face there – Werblin is the gym for you. Despite seeing other people using the squat rack as a bench press, you know you’re surrounded by other people who have absolutely no clue what they’re doing. Although it may always be packed, you know it’s the greatest spot to be. And now that Flex passes are free for students, why not take advantage of all the available classes too?

Going for a run across each campus 

Rutgers University Busch Campus Johnson Park Highpoint stadium

Trying for that 5k, realistically hitting 5 minutes before running out of breath

Running on a treadmill surrounded by heaps of people doing the exact same thing can quickly turn into an unsatisfactory experience – and is honestly boring af. The solution to this problem, run outdoors. It’s a much better challenge when you have to face some real inclines while running. Being out and about on College Ave can be annoying if you’re not much of a morning person, so if you’d rather not be surrounded by people, taking another route through Johnson Park – which is right next to the Raritan River – is perfect. You’ll most likely be out of breath by the time you get all the way through the park, but at least you can rest up with the goats at the mini zoo there.

Only drinking with friends on Fridays

You thought you’d have to give up drinking for the new year? Hell no! Go out to Stuff Yer Face during happy hour, just make sure to limit yourself. Realistically, getting fucked up every weekend will absolutely make your health worse, a lot worse. And if you are trying to get rid of your beer belly, limiting your alcohol intake is an absolute must. Keep in mind however, the longer you do avoid alcohol, the faster your tolerance will decline, so getting tipsy will be easier and less detrimental to your weight.

Using spa services instead of Netflix to relieve stress

We all deserve at least one rest day a week, and in college it’s pretty much a necessity. Whether it’s a 20 credit workload, or completing your senior thesis, you need a break. Instead of burning out, burn brighter. Livingston and Cook/Douglass Recreation centers offer massages, eyebrow threading, and facials for a discounted price to all students. Treat yourself and call your nearest recreation center to schedule your appointment asap.

Stop staying up past 3 a.m. when you have an 8:10

Procrastination guacamole

Oh boy, it’s 3 am already!?

We know it doesn’t help when assignments, quizzes, and essays are due at midnight every other night, but you really need to learn how to pace yourself. You are given the deadlines for Expos at the beginning of the semester, so look at the syllabus. All your quizzes on Sakai have due dates, so do them a few days in advance so you’re not stressing to get them all done in one night. This will also help with midterms and finals season because by then, you may have perfected the routine of planning and will be able to avoid late night stress eating.

Stop taking a bus from Rutgers Student Center to Scott Hall

Rutgers Bus College Ave

Take it to go to Busch, not around College Ave

It’s literally one of the shortest walks between bus stops on the entire New Brunswick campus, so take in the beautiful new scenery and enjoy the three minute walk. You can even ride a bike between stops on campus if your legs just aren’t fast enough for you – because believe me, the less bodies on an LX the better.

Realistically, your resolution to be the healthiest you can be this year may be abandoned halfway through the semester, but as long as you can practice and maintain a few of these healthy alternatives, you’ll definitely be on your way to becoming a much healthier you. Keep at it, and remember, stay far away from Easton Ave.

Rutgers University