11 reasons this Pitt football season will be one to remember

#ThePursuit has begun

Being a part of this football season was one of the most exciting times in my life. Experiencing the ups and downs with the rest of Panther Nation was a ride we’ll never forget. The Panthers are on the rise, that’s for sure. Here’s a recap of the most memorable moments and plays of the 2016-2017 season.

11. Being ranked in the AP top 25, and ranked 25th in the College Football Playoff rankings

Pat Narduzzi lead the Panthers to his second 8-4 season, in just his second season as being head coach. Narduzzi has never lost to a team with a losing record. Under Coach Duzz, the Panthers have had two bowl-eligible seasons. This season, though, is even more impressive than the last. Coach Duzz has steered the team to two wins over top-10 teams (Clemson, Penn State). He’s a strong leader with an impressive compassion for his players. He also knows how to fire up the team in the locker room, before or after a game. This is Coach Narduzzi’s second time being ranked in the AP Top 25, and the first time ever for the Panthers to be ranked in the Playoff Rankings.

10. James Conner’s second 1000-yard rushing season: SYRACUSE & James Conner breaking ACC touchdown records: DUKE

There isn’t much to say about James Conner other than that he is a dominating back with a ton of heart. He runs people over, stiff-arms them into the next dimension (more on that later), and leads the team with a positive attitude not many others can match. Conner passed the 1,000-yard rushing mark for the season, making it the second season he has ever done so. Conner has also been in the end zone a staggering 52 times, making him the player with the most rushing touchdowns in the history of the ACC. He also has the most individual career touchdowns, ever, (at a grand tally of 56) in the ACC. Keep in mind he still has Pitt’s bowl game to drive these numbers up.

9. Brian O’Neill’s two rushing Touchdowns- GEORGIA TECH & VIRGINIA TECH

The Piesman Trophy is given to “linemen who do decidedly un-linemen things.” No one better fits the bill than Pitt’s O’Neill, who not only scored one rushing TD against Georgia Tech, but then scored ANOTHER against Virginia Tech and attempted a pass during the Syracuse game. He also was blocking for freshman running back Maurice Ffrench against Syracuse, and the entirety of Ffrench’s 77 yard TD run, he was right in front of him paving the way for the 6 points. Unbelievable versatility.

8. Ejuan Price’s sacks

Wearing his controversial “shorts,” Price has been a nightmare for offensive lines and QB’s all season. His short stature, that some say is a disadvantage, allows him to sneak past the tall hands that try (and fail) to keep him out of the backfield. Following in the footsteps of now LA Rams Pro Bowl defensive tackle Aaron Donald, Ejuan Price is a force leading Pitt’s defense. Price has a total of 12 sacks so far this season, along with 13 QB hurries. His 21 tackles for loss (2nd in the country in that category) are half of his total tackles for the season (42).

7. Nate Peterman’s monster game- CLEMSON

Coming into the game, Pitt got barely any respect. Clemson had a 98.7% win probability. On arguably one of the best days of my entire life, Pitt’s senior QB lead his team to a triumphant victory over the #2 Clemson Tigers who were since undefeated, hadn’t lost to an unranked team in 5 years, had the nation’s longest home win streak, and were about to experience their first regular season loss since 2014. Peterman’s monster game, 308-yd, 5-TD, 0-INT, put the Panthers in an amazing place to not only compete with, but ultimately beat, one of the best teams in the country.

6. Jordan Whitehead’s pick-6 before the half- VIRGINIA

This was an extremely exciting play, and possibly, the turning point of the entire game. Tied right before the half, UVA QB Benkert was leading his team on a drive down the field. He threw a pass outside, and Whitehead was there. 59-yards and 6 points later, the Panthers had the lead, and would never again give it up. That was a crucial play going into the half, and one that I believe gave Pitt the confidence they needed to finish off UVA.

5. Quadree Henderson’s kickoff and punt returns

Quadree Henderson received the honor of being named ACC Specialist of the Week 5 times. He’s an explosive and lethal weapon when it comes to returns. The first TD return we saw from Henderson was last season in the Military Bowl versus Navy, and that was not the last. Every game, teams dread kicking the ball to him, because his speed and ability to follow blocks and find his own path down the field will often times result in 6 points for the Panthers.

4. 4th-and-1 stops- CLEMSON & GEORGIA TECH

There are two stand-out defensive plays that ring in my mind this season. One is the 4th-and-1 stop versus Georgia Tech. The game was tied. Tyrique Jarrett, with help from Matt Galambos, stuffed a GT running back with just under two minutes to go to give the Panthers a first down and allow a short drive that set up for Blewitt to be able to kick a field goal (see #3).

The other? 4th-and-1 versus Clemson. With the score in their favor by only 2 points, the Tigers decided to go for the 1st down with 1:02 left in the game. Jeremiah Taleni and Matt Galambos luckily were there to make the stop for a loss of yards before the ball could pass the 34-yard line. Peterman and the Panthers were set with good field position and the ability to drive the ball down the field to set it up for Blewitt’s kick (see #3).

3. Chris Blewitt’s game-winning field goals- CLEMSON & GEORGIA TECH

From 48-yards down field, Chris Blewitt kicked the football and stopped the hearts of Pitt and Clemson fans all around the nation. With 12 seconds remaining (coincidence that he is #12?) Blewitt kicks the ball straight through the uprights. Cheers of joy rang throughout Panther Nation, and we were celebrating beating the #2 team, on the road, when no one thought it possible. Death Valley was silenced as their dreams of keeping their second straight undefeated regular season alive were shattered by the leg of Blewitt.

A cringe and then sigh of relief followed Blewitt’s 31-yard field goal against Georgia Tech. The ball hit off the right upright of the goal post and sailed through to give Pitt the win with 5 seconds left. This was de-ja-vu for most Pitt fans; Blewitt also kicked a career-long 56-yard FG last year with 1:15 on the clock to beat Georgia Tech.

2. James Conner’s return: VILLANOVA & James Conner’s stiff-arms: CLEMSON & DUKE

One of the best, if not the best, stories in college football this year is James Conner. Suffering a MCL tear in the season opener last season, he was unfortunately out for the season. Conner’s health news wasn’t over, though. During a press conference, accompanied by his mother, James Conner revealed that he was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. During his 6 months of chemotherapy, Conner practiced with the team. He was an inspiration to everyone: survivors, fellow classmates, coaches, fellow players. Being at the Villanova game, and watching him run out of the tunnel again, was truly an incredible experience. The man was fighting for his life months ago, and now he is about to fight for a Pitt W.

Also worth mentioning are James Conner’s two legendary stiff-arms. During the Clemson game, Conner handed a poor Clemson defender one of the most beautiful stiff-arms I’ve ever seen. The poor guy actually trampolines off the ground. Conner continued to run for a TD. For the Duke game, Conner stiff-arm’s a guy to the ground then actually waves another Duke defender on, as if to say, “You wanna be next?” Matt Canada’s offense has some serious attitude this year, and man, am I loving it.

1. Ryan Lewis’ game-clinching interception: PENN STATE

This play was special for sentimental reasons. Penn State was driving down the field, and for reasons unbeknownst to me, their young QB McSorely attempted a pass for the end zone (on 2nd and 10 with over 1:20 left????) rather than just go for the first down. Lewis was ready, and jumped in front of the PSU receiver to get the INT with all of Heinz Field going crazy. It saved the game for the Panthers who, if the pass would’ve been completed for the TD, would’ve been losing with just over a minute to go. As a result, Pitt beat rival Penn State 42-39, a score that I’m sure will not be forgotten soon by Pitt fans.

Honorable mentions:

• Georgia Tech, Homecoming, was the first game that the Panthers wore the highly anticipated throwback uniforms.
  • Pitt became bowl eligible with a win against #2 Clemson.
  • The following Panthers recently received All-ACC honors: 1st team- James Conner(RB), Ejuan Price(DE), Dorian Johnson(OG), Quadree Henderson(SP), 2nd team- Adam Bisnowaty(OT), Jordan Whitehead(SS), 3rd team- Brian O’Neill(OT), Honorable Mentions- Chris Blewitt(K), Quadree Henderson(WR), Tyrique Jarrett(DL).
  • James Conner received the Disney Sports Spirit Award given to college football’s most inspirational figure.
  • Matt Canada’s debut as offensive coordinator is surely impressive. This guy has defenses constantly on their toes. He runs an offense that is both shocking and confusing defenses, and exciting to watch. Pitt’s offense has scored above 28+ every single game this season, and is averaging 42.3 points per game. Pitt’s reached 36+ points in 10/12 regular season games. He already has the highest scoring offense in Pitt history (with an unbelievable 508 points), and he still has a bowl game to go.
  • The outstanding performance of our offensive line deserves some recognition. We’ve only allowed 9 (!!!) sacks this year, and that’s the least sacks allowed in the Power-5 for the regular season. They create holes that have contributed to our ability to gain 2,757 rushing yards on the season, as well as keep defenders out of the way for us to pass for 2,613 yards.

Make sure to keep an eye out for the bowl game announcements. Your Pitt Panthers are projected to make a pretty good bowl, and if possible, make sure to buy some tickets and go support! Hail to Pitt.

University of Pittsburgh