From beating cancer to beating Penn State, James Conner deserves the Heisman

His stats are incredible, but his spirit is unbreakable

For those of you who don’t know, the Pitt Panthers football team features a running back who not only runs right through opposing players, but has overcome one of the greatest challenges a human can face. His name is James Conner, and he’s a cancer survivor.

For his unbreakable spirit and breathtaking athletic ability, he deserves the Heisman Trophy, the most prestigious award that a college football player can win.

Against Youngstown State, in the first game of the 2015 Pitt football season, Conner tore his MCL. After a stellar sophomore year in which he was one of the best running backs in the ACC, Conner’s promising junior campaign was over before the second half of the season opener. A devastating injury of this nature is hard enough to overcome on its own, but that was nothing compared to what came next.

In early December, Conner announced that he had been diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, a cancer of the lymphatic system (he found out on Thanksgiving no less). James wasn’t just fighting for his football career anymore. Now he would have to battle for his life as well.

Showing a level of resilience unmatched by any other Heisman candidate this year, Conner pushed through his treatment and the rehabilitation of his knee with a full head of steam. The disease simply couldn’t keep up. By May of 2016 he was cancer-free, and ready to get back on the field.

Of course, once he returned to the team, he got right back to terrorizing opposing linebackers. This past week against the Duke Blue Devils, Conner broke the career ACC record for rushing touchdowns and total touchdowns by one player. Now is a better time than ever to remind you that this is only his third full season. I saw him do it live, and I’ve never been more inspired by an athlete in my short time on Earth.

According to its description: “The Heisman Memorial Trophy is awarded annually to the most outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity. Winners epitomize great ability combined with diligence, perseverance, and hard work.”

It doesn’t say anything about who accounted for the most touchdowns in a single season. It doesn’t mention that the winner must be the best player from the best team. In recent years, the award has become about statistics and team record over the actual personal traits it claims to represent. Sure, other players like Louisville’s Lamar Jackson and Clemson’s Deshaun Watson (Chris Blewitt says hello) have put up great numbers this season on teams ranked higher than Conner’s Panthers, but this trophy is about so much more than that.

James Conner has overcome every challenge that has come his way, from the defensive schemes of the ACC to one of the deadliest diseases known to man all while keeping a smile on his face. He’s worked immensely hard to keep playing the game he loves even when everything has been stacked against him, and he hasn’t complained once, while other running backs bitch about not getting enough carries. What could possibly be a better example of the integrity, perseverance, and hard work that the mythical Heisman Trophy is meant to reward?

No potential candidate is a more powerful representation of the values that make up the explicit criteria of the award.

James Conner, starting running back for the Pitt Panthers and conqueror of cancer, should be considered for the Heisman trophy. Even if the Trust ignores its own criteria and gives the trophy to another player, he is a winner by any measure.

University of Pittsburgh