We asked Bucknell students whether or not they thought the walkout was successful

Bucknell students, faculty, and administration all walked out of class and congregated on the Malesardi Quad

Today was a great first step for Bucknellians everywhere, as a huge number of people gathered on the Malesardi Quad for Bucknell’s first-ever walk-out. The notice of the walk-out was spread by word of mouth, with the message reaching faculty and staff today.

Many professors cancelled class for the event, and many more showed up to the event themselves.

Many students flocked to the quad in order to participate in the walk-out.

Hundreds of people poured out into the Quad, and waited expectantly for the speakers to begin. The walkout was split up into two parts: the first with Mona Mohammed and Emma Downey giving opening remarks about the nature of the election and what has been happening in the world.

After Mohammed and Downey’s opening remarks, several students were allowed to stand up and speak through the megaphone. Many students expressed their desire for unity on campus, and how we cannot accomplish anything as a nation if we are so divided throughout. Many people of color also expressed how they feel afraid of what will happen next as a result of Trump’s president-elect status.

Casey Venema, ’18, emphasized our privileged status as college undergraduates, and how we should utilize this privilege to educate others:

Even though many people were afraid, there seemed to be a common theme: people thought the solidarity event was a great first step.

The Tab spoke to students who attended, asking if they thought the event was a success.

Taylor Lyles, Senior, said:

“I really appreciated it; it brought a lot of people together. During this time, I felt a good kinship on campus between many groups of people. So many people were there: people from different races, ethnicities, nationalities. It was great seeing so many students talking about this, and it was something I really needed after the past few days of being alone.”

Laura Poulton, Junior, said:

“I now feel much safer and more supported on campus, especially because I saw so many professors there.”

Many students were happy that their professors could make it.

Cristal Hermosillo, Senior, said:

“It was a good group of people. I appreciate my professor for allowing us to join in on the conversation. Shout out to Professor Beasley for being phenomenal!”

One of the student speakers

A few students enjoyed the event, but offered some critiques.

Sierra Magnotta, Junior, remarked:

“I think [the walk-out] was efficient, but at the same time I think it would also be beneficial to have events that discuss direct action. It was touched on during the walk-out, and I think we need to make sure that we actually follow through on that.”

Guelmi Espinal, Junior, one of the speakers at the event, reiterated the points he made during his speech at the walk-out:

“If we the people don’t want to be taken advantage of, then we the people shouldn’t ever sit down. We have to make sure we aren’t being manipulated by capitalism, by democracy, or by the corrupt officials that lead our country. To sit down allows for hate speech to continue.”

Esmely Muñoz, First-Year, reiterated similar:

“I don’t know how I feel about [the walk-out]. I hope there’s action. It’s easy to stand there, but to go through and make an action plan is more difficult. It’s easy to say that you hate Trump, but when we brought up the idea of an action plan, a lot of people left. I’m glad it facilitated discussion, though, because that’s really important.”

Favour Unigwe, First-Year, was also a bit skeptical:

“I think it was good, but only a start. I think we need to organize and lobby Congress people and sign petitions. [Though] it was a wonderful display of solidarity.”

Today’s walk-out was a great event, because it was a much-needed first step. It served as a first step toward people of marginalized groups feeling safer again on campus, after Tuesday night. It served as a first step to bring University students, faculty, and administration into the same space to talk about the issue that this election poses to safety.

However, the momentum cannot stop at this walk-out. Students, in the stress of everything, tend to forget about events like this and don’t help make an action plan for what to do next. Maybe, with Trump’s hate being so prevalent, it will be different this time.

It is important not to lose hope in the face of these challenges, and to keep speaking. We came together and walked out today, and we can and should continue to do so.

Bucknell University