BREAKING: Hundreds of Bucknell students walk out of classes in solidarity

‘We will not continue life as normal and be passive when so many lives and rights are at stake’

Bucknell students and professors walked out of their classes and joined their peers in solidarity on the Malesardi quad promptly at 11:15 this morning.

One of the organizers of the event, Mona Mohammed, said in a Facebook post about the event:

“It’s an effort to show solidarity, and make a statement about the election. We will not continue life as normal and be passive when so many lives and rights are at stake.”

Entire classes interrupted their lectures and are gathered on the quad.

The opening remarks were made by the co-organizers of the event, Emma Downey, who said:

“The goal and purpose of doing this today is to 1) show solidarity and 2) demonstrate that things are pretty fucked up and people are pissed, and that we won’t just carry on with the status quo and act like everything is normal and fine.”

“Today, the youth can take America back. Just like the radical and reformist groups of the 60s, we can unite and make change. This time around, it’s different than the 60s. We have access to the tactics and means of protest, strike, and occupation. We have so many more tools at our disposal and means of communication and organization. And, we have a common enemy: Donald trump and his campaign, the embodiment of fascism and hatred.”

The opening statements ended with chants of “stand up, fight back,” echoed by the crowd.

The megaphone was opened to anyone in attendance, who felt the need to speak or share their thoughts.

Freshman Ella Curran shouted on the megaphone:

“The duty of youth is to challenge corruption.”

Guelmi Espinal has reminded listeners:

“The house is up for re-election in two years: make it blue.”

After the open-mic, students split into groups of 15 people or so to discuss the election, the state of America, and solutions.

The speakers said: “We can occupy the quad as long as we need until we can find solutions.”

During this time, professors handed out safety pins for students to wear, a symbol of solidarity, made popular during Brexit.

The walkout precedes a meeting being held tonight at 7pm in the LC Student Space to discuss “actionable steps that should be taken in the wake of the election results.”

The Tab spoke to students participating in the walk out, asking why they participated.

Liana Urvine, 19, Theatre and Animal behavior, said:

“I really opens peoples minds to understanding when protesting in an educational setting”.

Devon, a Markets Innovation and Design and English student said: “I’m partaking because I have empathy for others, and I think turning hatred into positivity is a good thing”.

Stacy, 21, a Film Media Studies and History major agreed.

“I’m partaking because I feel like I can’t do nothing. I want to support everyone who feels affected by Trump’s hate speech and stand together.

“White silence costs lives.”

More details to follow

Bucknell University