James White ate my hamster

By ,         on

Facebook Twitter

Battered student cooked housemate's hamster in frying pan. WARNING: CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGE

• Hammered student cooked housemate’s hamster in frying pan
• James White was so drunk he was “on the point of madness”
• He narrowly escaped jail because hamster may have been dead before he cooked it.

It was a quiet day spent running on her wheel and rolling in sawdust.

So imagine the horror for the Syrian hamster who was COOKED in a frying pan by a drunken politics student.

York student James White was so drunk he was “on the point of madness” when he fried his housemate’s beloved pet.

White, 21, landed 120 hours of community service after pleading guilty at Selby magistrate’s court.

James White was drunk “on the point of madness”

He escaped jail after lawyers failed to prove the animal was alive when put on the hob. The hamster may have already died from White’s rough handling.

District judge Roy Anderson told him: “What happened that night is still shrouded in mystery. By virtue of your treatment of this small, unfortunate rodent you have destroyed your good character and acquired a criminal conviction.

The story is a haunting echo of The Sun’s infamous front page: ‘Freddie Starr ate my hamster’

“It is accepted now that there was rough handling of that animal but it could not be established that it was putting it in the frying pan and applying heat that caused its death.

“Had that sadistic conduct been established I would be dealing with you in a far more serious way than I am.”

Earlier the prosecution told how police were called to White’s halls on February 2. When they arrived they noticed a strong smell coming from the kitchen. A frying pan containing a dead hamster was sitting next to the hob.

A blind drunk White confessed to officers he had cooked the creature, but began acting even more strange – answering “1,2,3,4” when asked for his name.

White was banned from keeping animals from eight years and fined £1,000 in costs.

Photo issued by the RSPCA

A York University spokesman said: “We note the decision of the court. As this matter has not been raised formally as a disciplinary issue under university regulations, we propose to take no further action.”

Facebook Twitter
  • Frustrated

Deep fry this punk.

• Joni

Oh shit I cried a bit when I saw the hamster, that’s really sad – I really hope it didn’t die from being fried becuase that would be a horrible way for it to die.

• Anonymous

it blatently did though

• Joe

it blatently did though

• anonymous

Heard something on campus?

By , Tab reporter on

Guild open ‘Minute for Mindfulness’ Room

It’s so chill

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Liverpool is launching telephone listening service Nightline

It’s open from 8pm – 8am

By , Features Editor on

Best person on Facebook this week

Netflix and chill is DEAD

By ,         on

VOTE: Who was the best dressed this week?

These people are killing it

By , Durham Editor of The Tab on

Durham Linguists are feckless posers who don’t know the meaning of a real degree

‘Ou est la gare?’

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Best clubbers of the week

You drink, we judge

By ,         on

Third years who found their housemate dead in his room are now being sued for unpaid rent

They were too traumatised to return