Is sexual harassment happening more because of heavy drinking?

We found out what you really think

We asked Liverpool students if heavy drinking on nights out has an impact on sexual harassment in clubs. 

Laura Smith, 4th year, French and Italian

The languages finalist said: “When people are drinking they feel like they can get away with a lot more and what may seem like a laugh with the lads is actually not so funny when you’re on the receiving end.

“It’s worrying how often these things happen and just go unnoticed as sometimes they have the potential to escalate from a grope in a club to something more serious.”

Adam Payne, grad, English and Politics

English and Politics grad Adam said: “I had my ear nibbled on by a guy when I was at a gig, I’d never experienced anything like it before and initially I was just unsure what to do – it was really uncomfortable.

“I think drink probably is a contributing factor to that kind of behaviour but it all comes down to attitude.

“A lot of people touch and grope others thinking it’s harmless and under the impression that it’s all part of fun and the culture of being young and at uni.”

Phoebe Atkinson, 4th year, French and German

The language finalist said: “My worst experience of sexual harassment would definitely be when I went to Magaluf – no surprises there.

“I think when people drink they become far more confident than when sober and the whole personal space concept goes completely out of the window.

“I wouldn’t say the uni drink culture promotes sexual harassment, however it is certainly a factor.”

Joseph Chamberlain, 3rd year, Aerospace Engineering

Joe said: “I remember a friend had her arse slapped by a large man back in first year by a Shrek lookalike.

“I think drinking can bring out the devil in some people.

“If you’re a bit of a creep with a wandering hand a drink is probably going to help you be that creep, drink just brings out something that was already there.

“I don’t know if you could ever prove alcohol causes sexual harassment because I’d say it comes down to the individual and whatever it is they have going on inside their head at the time.”

Ariana Ela, 1st year, Law

The Law fresher said:  “Sometimes when lads have a drink they think that unless you’ve explicitly said ‘No’ that they can take that as a ‘Yes.'”

Francis Beaumont De Oliveria, 3rd year, Aerospace Engineering

Francis said: “I don’t think drink culture promotes sexual harassment, it’s a side effect from young people going out drinking – unfortunately I don’t think too much can be done except confronting people.

“Sometimes after a drink people think others are up for it and then you get guys grabbing girl’s bums or even girls just pouncing on guys.

“On a night out, people’s filter for their words and actions when drunk seem to get completely distorted, thinking sexual harassment is perfectly alright.”

Mollie Skinner, 1st year, Psychology

Psychology fresher Molly said: “I think drinking definitely does increase the risk of it happening as everyone is more vulnerable both boys and girls but I  don’t think drink should be used an excuse for it.”

Ted Holmes, 4th year, Civil Engineering

The sporty Engineering finalist said: ” The majority of people can have a drink and it would never be an issue.

“It’s just a select few that think it’s funny or do it to show off to their friends, people have also become slightly numb to the issue when it does happen – looking the other way when they should step in.”

Cydney Yeates, 3rd year, English and Communications

English and Communications finalist Cydney said: “I’ve experienced sexual harassment on nights out, on several occasions men have groped my bum.

“Drink culture definitely promotes sexual harassment, some guys think they can do whatever they want when they’re drunk and they act like you’re they’re possession and that you owe them something.”

Ellie Rice, 2nd year, Media, Communications and Law

Second year Ellie said: “I think everyone has experienced it in some way or another, drinking definitely gives people some sort of confidence that makes them feel like it’s OK to talk to and touch people inappropriately.

“It isn’t OK when a boy comes and squeezes your bum so I don’t understand why people accept it on nights out, it’s a very strange part of university culture.”

To find out more information visit www.drinkaware.co.uk/wouldnt-shouldnt