Yale says Jack Montague’s lawsuit is ‘factually inaccurate and legally baseless’

They just responded to his statement

The latest twist in the Jack Montague saga comes as Yale has just responded to the lawsuit he filed today.

Yale has denounced the civil suit as “factually inaccurate and legally baseless” in a statement that claims its handling of the disciplinary suit was “thorough and fair”.

Read their statement in full here

The lawsuit is factually inaccurate and legally baseless, and Yale will offer a vigorous defense.

Yale always respects the privacy and confidentiality of all students involved in a disciplinary process. Yale’s procedures for addressing allegations of sexual misconduct are thorough and fair. Allegations are investigated by an impartial fact finder, heard by five trained members of the Yale community, and decided by the accused student’s dean. Throughout the process, all parties have advisors, which can be legal counsel, and they can appeal a decision.

Where cases involve judgments about the witnesses’ credibility, all of the available corroborating or contradictory information is carefully weighed.

One out of five formal sexual misconduct hearings has ended without a finding against the accused, and, in two out of five cases, the accused student has received a reprimand or probation. Only about one out of 10 cases has ended in expulsion, and the decision to expel a student has been made only after the most careful consideration, based on the facts and, when appropriate, disciplinary history.

Jack Montague was expelled from Yale in February 2016 following the investigation of a formal complaint brought to the University-Wide Committee on Sexual Misconduct. A summary of Yale’s procedures for addressing complaints of sexual misconduct may be found here.

Yale University