I went on Bumble at Yale and was immediately catfished

He tried to pull this shit on Valentine’s Day

This Valentine’s Day, I decided to take the leap and download Bumble because it’s the least sketchy of the dating apps and I’m pathetic.

At first, I was stoked; every guy was swipe right material. After a while, I legitimately began to wonder if the app was punking me, because I was not aware these people existed at Yale.

One of the guys to respond to my “hiii” was Sam, a first year grad student at the Yale Med School. Sam, I learned, had moved to New Haven from Boston, but was originally from Fiji. We talked about a bunch of Yale things (Pepe’s, Box, Durfees, whatever), so I thought this guy checked out. After about a day of back and forth, Sam asked if I would go to Miya’s with him and I accepted.

However, once I got to a computer I thought: wait, I’m not trying to get raped/murdered/kidnapped. I’ve seen Criminal Minds, I know what happens on these types of things. So I reverse Google image searched his profile pictures (those Catfish: The TV Show marathons really paid off) and, low and behold, I got a hit.

Turns out Sam’s picture wasn’t really Sam’s–it belonged to a South Korean actor named Dennis Oh. Either Dennis Oh is desperate to meet women at Yale but wants to be low-key about his celebrity status, or I was getting catfished by some dude who may or may not be named Sam.

Naturally, I took a screenshot of the Google search and sent them to Sam.

He has not yet responded. Will keep you posted.

My kind, loving friends reacted exactly how you’d think they would to this potentially dangerous incident.

“hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha” — Ian Spear

“Poor guy” — Yasmeen Akounou

Lucky me, I made a Snapstory!

Make that two !!

Isn’t this victim blaming?

Update: I deleted Bumble for a whole 24 hours before redownloading it, because loneliness.

Yale University