How Yalies approach a New Haven winter

Braving the New Haven chill from all over the world, these Yalies gave their inside scoop on winter wardrobes

After surviving our first snowstorm of the season, Yalies all over campus are finally breaking out their winter best. Whether you’re a New Haven native or experiencing snow for the first time, students have all different kinds of methods for surviving the cold. There’s a new kind of blizzard on campus: L.L. Bean Boots, Cozy Cable Knit Sweaters, and the ever so popular Canada Goose Jackets…

These students decided to share their winter favorites with The Tab:

The Connecticut Native

Spending every Connecticut winter buried in snow, Emily Everlith is an expert at dressing for any kind of snowy day.

Her go-to winter accessory: SCARVES

“If you wear the same coat every day, scarves are the best way to change it up!”

The West Coast Transplant

Yes, it’s her first time trudging through this icy mess. This California girl, Victoria Solomon, has had to pick up surviving in the snow fast…

Her go to winter accessory: SOCKS

“If your feet aren’t warm, nothing else is!”

The International Comes State-Side

T

Winter can’t stop Cati Vlad from strutting across Old Campus in style. She’s bringing Romanian style all the way to New Haven.

Her go to winter accessory: HATS

“I feel that they can transform any outfit, add elegance, and make you look warm!”

The Boy Next Door

Since he’s use to a colder Illinois winter, Kevin Olteanu knows the best way to keep warm in New Haven.

His favorite winter accessory: THE RUSSIAN BOMBER HAT

“The fur keeps my ears warm and it brings out my eyes. Also, my great grandfather is from Russia!”

Making the Move North

Making the trek up from Maryland, Ladon Mohamed dressing for a colder winter here in Connecticut. There are no 60 degree weeks in New Haven.

Her favorite winter accessory: LEG WARMERS

“There are lots of cute designs and colors. Plus, they go well with almost any pair of boots!”

The Winter Warrior

Since Chaney Kalinich grew up in Chicago, she knows what a REAL winter feels like.

Her favorite winter accessory: KNIT MITTENS (that flip over into gloves, of course!)

“My hands get cold so easily, so I need mittens! I love being able to have warm mittens on and still being able to text on my phone.”

What will you be wearing this winter?

Yale University