Street style: Vibrant hair edition

Distinct people, distinct hair

On a campus where style seems dominated by Herschel backpacks, J. Crew sweaters and neutral skinny jeans, some of you choose to make a statement with unconventional haircuts and colors.

The Tab set out to find the sweetest and most unique locks at Yale.

Mitzi Unda Sosa, TD junior

Mitzi has experimented with different hair colors over the past year. From pink to blue, she’s bleached and dyed her hair half a dozen times since she first began to color it.

She says: “I wanted a change in my life, so I decided to dye it. Long black hair screams ‘I am Mexican’, so at first I only dyed the tips. Now that I’ve cut it short and colored it, I stand out.”

Sarah Ludwin-Peery, TD freshman

She says: “I think changing your hair is a great way to try out funky looks without being as permanent as tattoos.”

Sarah Harris, Saybrook freshman

“This is my way to express myself and my personality.”

Alex Borsa, Silliman senior

“I dye my hair, and then everyone knows me because I’m one of the only ten people who do it.

This month, Alex sports bright blue hair, but says his favorite look was when his hair was whitish-grey.

“It was really hard to get perfect, and it goes away really quickly. So when I got it, it was a testament to how much time I put in to figure it out.

“You can see it with this year’s freshman class. There’s more people with non-traditional hair colors and styles.

“For me, it’s tied in queerness. If anyone is trying to colour their hair, hit me and Elena Clancy up.”

Neema Githere, Berkeley sophomore

Neema has a do which is the definition of radical to many. With half her head shaved and the other in braids, her unique hairstyle makes a statement as she rides her bike through Cross Campus.

“I think hair is a really big part of anyone’s aesthetic. It’s a way you get to express yourself in a really radical way.

“Especially as a black woman, hair has a lot of significance. I forget that I stick out. I’m so used to my hair. To me, this is my normal.

“Be bold. Hair grows back. People are too attached to having normal hairstyles and to looking a certain way. I think if there was ever a time to be crazy with your hair, now is it.”

Nat Aramayo, TD junior

Nat bleached their hair at the same time as Mitzi.

“I changed my hair because Mitzi asked if I wanted her to bleach my hair, and I said, ‘Yeah! Why not?’

“In retrospect it signaled a turning point in my life. It was time for something new internally so what better way to represent that newness then externally?”

Yale University