How much does skipping a class at UW-Madison actually cost and what could you buy with that money instead

We all do it, so it’s about time that we understood what kind of dent we’re leaving on our wallets

We’ve somehow gotten past week number four of the semester, even if we weren’t in every class to prove it. We’ve figured out which lectures are posted, so we don’t necessarily HAVE to be there. We’ve found a seat in our discussions, so that iMessaging on your computer looks like you’re taking extensive notes when in reality you’re completely checked out of anything school related.

All of our parents have told us the ridiculous cost of each class to scare us into going. Hangovers, oversleeping, and just plain laziness have all stopped us from attending the classes that we promised ourselves we wouldn’t miss. But, what is the real cost of a less-than-perfect attendance at UW?

Approximately 71% of students are from Minnesota or Wisconsin, so we’ll consider the tuition in- state.

Tuition for one undergraduate year at the University of Wisconsin – Madison is $10,488 per year. Thus, each semester tuition is around $5,244.

To make math easy, let’s assume that you’re taking the average 15 credits; 5 3-credit classes. Thus, each class costs around $1,049. Excluding breaks, the spring semester is made up of about 15 weeks of regular lectures and discussions. Each class meets approximately 2.5 times a week (because some have discussion sections, while some are just lecture based). So, every time you sleep through that alarm or catch up on the Bachelor, you’re wasting about $28.

It doesn’t seem like a lot, but think about all the things you’d rather be spending money on:

Multiple hockey games

One concert at Liquid

7 slices of pizza from Ian’s

A basketball game

20 donuts from Bassett Street Brunch Club

Eight Babcock ice creams

One CYC class

Four caramel apples from Kilwin’s

$28 might not seem like a lot of money, but if you’re skipping quite a bit, it really starts to add up. Sure, there are classes where you can get by without showing up, but normally going to class is a way to ensure you get the grades you desire. You (or someone you know) are paying for your education, don’t take it for granted!

Naps after class will always be free. Netflix is going to be there after your 50 minute lecture. Paying attention and actually being present only has benefits! I’m not trying to be your mom or anything, but GO TO CLASS!

University of Wisconsin