How to survive the start of the semester

We all know ‘syllabus week’ doesn’t actually exist

Maybe classes are slower, maybe not as much is expected, but we all are well aware how far we can fall behind if we don’t get our stuff together right out of the gate. There are a wide variety of different routes students can take during week one which can cause you to get ahead or fall behind.  Here are some things to consider when attempting NOT to fall behind.

Go to class

This seems self-explanatory, but you’d be surprised. The easiest thing to do during syllabus week to stay on top of things is go to class. You may think it isn’t mandatory since all you do is grab a syllabus, listen to nonsense, and leave. However, starting a bad habit the first weeks of the semester is not the way to succeed.

Know your schedule

Many students forget where a class is or what time a discussion section meets. It’s impossible to attend lecture if you’re unaware of the time and location. Seems self-explanatory…not so much.

Take time for yourself

So much information and work gets thrown at you at the beginning of a semester, and getting overwhelmed or nervous is a given. With the extra free time you’ll have, do something that can ease your mind and calm your nerves. Run, workout, read, listen to some music, anything to keep you healthy during these first few weeks.

Don’t go out every night

It’s tempting, but also a good way to sleep through class or not be mentally present. You have every weekend all semester to go out.  Take the first weekdays and weekend to get back into the swing of things and prepare for all the upcoming work.

Study early

Study, study, study. I know there is not a lot of concrete work to do, but looking over your notes, reading, and studying more than you need to does wonders. You won’t feel behind as the semester advances.

Plan a schedule

Take notes on your exam dates, paper due dates, and make sure you know where to find the readings and assignments you may need and where to turn them in. There is no worse feeling than knowing you missed out on an assignment or missed some key points because you got lazy.

Know what’s coming

Being aware of what your semester will demand is crucial. If you go into your classes knowing what’s expected, planning a schedule becomes extremely doable. Expecting certain assignments, presentations, and papers also gives peace of mind because you know nothing is sneaking up on you.

With as much getting thrown at us, and as much as we have to do at the start of the semester, we also need to recognize how much time there is in a day. It can be easier to fall behind than get ahead. Procrastination is easy and tempting, and feeling overwhelmed is a guarantee. However, we’re also still in college with our best friends. It’s the slowest part of the year, so make sure to have fun and enjoy the free time while also getting your stuff together and knowing what is coming.

University of Wisconsin