How to successfully holiday shop on a college student’s budget

Shipping is $7.99? I guess nobody gets gifts this year

If you’re reading this and are a college student, you are well aware the holidays are approaching quickly and money may be tight. Between paying for Ian’s, weekend fun, splurging on clothes and, oh yeah, actual school expenses, you may be wondering, ‘how am I supposed to get the gifts I want with the money I don’t have?’

Here are a few ways you can make this holiday season spectacular without going further into debt.

Amazon Prime Student

Maybe you have been living under a rock, or you have horrible friends who never bring amazing offers to your attention. Either way, read what is in front of you right now.  Amazon Prime Student is a great way to save money when it comes to shopping. Not only does the offer include free, yep FREE, two-day shipping, you can also find some pretty cool discounts just for being a member. So go ahead and buy your dad the $50 whiskey kit. Thanks to Prime Student, it will stay at $50 and be at your residence in 48 hours.

Hand-crafted gifts

Everyone knows mothers, even most siblings, don’t actually care about gifts. Usually your mom is just happy to have you home, cook you a nice meal, and make sure you’re safe. A great way to save money and show your mom and other family members how amazing they are is by making a project. Some type of T-shirt or short movie filled with pictures of the family and a sentimental song does the trick. Anything to say ‘I love you…but I’m broke.’

Go in with siblings

It’s the age-old trick, but it sticks around for a reason. Buying a gift someone really wants can usually be an intimidating task due to the price tag. Go ahead and kill two birds with one stone by getting two or three people to pitch in for a gift. We’re all mature enough to be glad we got what we actually wanted or needed, as opposed to being upset at the marginal number of gifts we received.

Thrifting

There is absolutely no shame in checking out what Goodwill, St. Vincent De Paul’s, or the Salvation Army have to offer. A lot of the time, those stores have some amazing and inexpensive finds, you just have to look hard enough.

Online shopping

I already mentioned Prime Student from Amazon, but they aren’t the only website offering some incredible promotions. With the holidays fast approaching, many outlet websites will have flash sales, coupon codes, or even buy-one get-one half-off deals. Once again, you just need to search a little bit.  If you have the patience, it will be worth it.

Food

Everyone loves food. It’s simple. Buying someone their favorite snacks is quite possibly the easiest, cheapest way to shop. A bag of candy, some soda, maybe their favorite cookies in bulk are all great options. The gift may not last long, but you know when they see a gallon of Sour Patch Kids, they will be nothing but grateful.

As wonderful, or possibly stressful, as this article is, let’s not forget what the holidays mean. Give your grandparents a call, tell your mom you love her, and make sure your friends know what they mean to you. Gift giving is a rush and unwrapping presents is a feeling second-to-none. Just remember to spend extra time with family and friends, and remember to be happy with what you already have.

University of Wisconsin