Green Bay is the best place to grow up, I don’t care what you say

Packers, cheese curds, and deep-fried everything. What else could you ask for?

OK, so maybe I lied. Should I apologize? I feel like I should apologize. It’s the polite thing to do. Of course we care what you think. We’re a polite group of people. We say hi to some, wave to most, and smile at everyone.

Wisconsin may seem dull, boring, cold…definitely cold, and quiet. However, when you really take some time to think about the city you were raised in, there is no better place to call ‘home’.

The skyline

Have you ever seen a skyline so perfect? No, you haven’t. You’ve seen a larger one, a more attractive one. But there is nothing better than driving an umpteen amount of hours through farmland and baron fields and eventually coming upon the large ‘G’ peeking into the sky.

Every Green Bay native knows the feeling of crossing Tower Drive or driving over the 172 bridge and seeing the stadium, knowing you’ve arrived.

The surrounding areas

As a true Green Bay resident, I hear it all the time. People claim to be from Green Bay but they are actually from Gillette, De Pere, Kaukauna, heck even Shawano. First off, no, you’re not from Green Bay. Second, sure, you can claim that.

Green Bay’s population is about 105,000 people. If you include the plethora of surrounding suburbs, towns, districts, it adds up to be nearly 300,000 citizens. So, go ahead, and say you’re from Green Bay. If you love cheese, the Packers, and taking pride in your city, we’d love to have you.  That’s what makes us so great, the people not the location. People just don’t care about other people the way Green Bay residents care about their neighbors.

Don’t I know you?

It may be a blessing, it may be a curse, but there’s something special about going out in public knowing you will see at least five people you know. Whether it be friends, friends’ parents, or old classmates, you’re never truly on your own.

The Packers

What else needs to be said? Who is the Super Bowl trophy named after? Which team has the most World Championships in the history of football? Who does Aaron Rodgers play for? Lambeau is iconic, and for being the smallest market in the United States to host a professional sports team, we make it work pretty well.

Oh, did I mention the residents own the team? Yeah, the Packers aren’t going anywhere.

The bars and tailgates

Wait, people don’t park in people’s driveways for every team’s games? I cannot imagine anything better than throwing a few back with a homeowner before a Packers game. Once you’re done shooting the breeze with the guy you just gave a beer and $20 to, make your way down to Oneida Street to enjoy The Bar and Stadium View, where the party continues on. You’ve never seen so many cheese heads in one spot, I guarantee it.

Green Bay may be small, but we know how to drink, and we will take that to the grave. As comedian Anders Holm once said, ‘if you’re from Wisconsin, you’re an alcoholic everywhere else.’

Farmer’s market on Broadway

If you ever find yourself bored on a Wednesday afternoon, you can make your way downtown to the farmer’s market. Not only is it a great spot to taste beer, sample food, people watch, and hear live entertainment, it’s also beautiful.

You’ve never seen so many tents, people, or old downtown buildings in such a small area. My recommendation? Rustique pizza or some deep fried, batter dipped cheese curds.

Cheese…yep you read that right

Another defining factor that makes Green Bay so spectacular is our cheese. If they squeak, you know you’ve come across some great curds. If not? Eat them anyway.  They’re probably just as tasty.

Winters

Of course Green Bay is cold. It’s a northern city in Wisconsin, how does the rest of the world think weather works? But if it’s there, why not take advantage of it? Sledding down Bairds Creek or Fireman’s Hill provides the entire family with a night of fun.

Besides sledding we can’t forget the beautiful decorations put up at Lambeau, in King of Arms’ neighborhood, or the countless decoration contests put on by separate blocks.

Yes, it’s cold. Yes, driving is impossible and yes, winter makes you want to stay on your couch with hot cocoa watching Elf all day…but does that sound that bad?  I don’t think so.

The Pancake Place

We all know what it’s like bragging to your friends that you finished an Ultimate Frisbee-sized pancake. We also know the thrill of going for breakfast in hopes of seeing a Packers player. If Timberlake and Rodgers can eat there, then me munching down on some pancakes and stuffed hash browns is considered high society.

Bay Beach

It may be a place for children and it may possess an old, wooden rollercoaster, but Bay Beach is magical. Located on the bay, Bay Beach provides people of all ages with an evening of fun and cotton candy.

Tip of advice from our residents: if you ride the Zippin Pippin, make sure to press your legs to the safety bar before the last bump or you’ll be going home with an injury.

Culver’s

Yep. Culver’s. With phenomenal food and being Wisconsin-based, Culver’s is the perfect spot to hang out and enjoy yourself if you’re looking for something low key. Custard, butter burgers, cheese curds, crinkle-cut fries, it doesn’t matter because you’ll enjoy yourself. And once you move out of Wisconsin and realize you’re never close to Culver’s again, you’ll look back and learn to never take what you love for granted.

Green Bay gets the reputation of being boring, nothing but snow and the Packers. You know what I say to that? Bologna. Green Bay is one of the few great cities left to grow up in, raise a family in, and return to for holidays. The memories I’ve taken away, my ability to come up with plans no matter what, and the people I met have shaped me into who I am today.  I wouldn’t trade that for anything.

I love high school sports, I love cheese, I love knowing people come to Green Bay just for the Packers because that’s what makes us great. I obviously acknowledge that without an NFL team, no one would come to Green Bay unless they had relatives there, but even if you eliminated the Packers, there is no where I would have rather spent my youth.

University of Wisconsin