I don’t care what you say, protests are important

Protest is one of the most powerful ways we can use our voice, yet we see it as useless

Why do you have a voice? Some people use there’s to sing. Others, use there’s to post novel-length statuses behind a computer screen. In our history, some people’s voices have changed the world. They’ve rallied behind one opinion to change the way you and I live. We live in world where it’s okay to share your opinion; it’s encouraged. So, why has protesting gotten such a bad reputation?

Protests are one of the main ways our voices can be heard. One voice might not change what’s written in a history book, but many, under one unified goal, can move mountains. However, following the election, people have found the protests to be “meaningless” and “wasteful”. This isn’t a partisan thing. Democrats and Republicans alike have become apathetic about the power of our voices.

The results of the election won’t change. As a strong liberal, it was something I had to digest and come to terms with. But, if our politicians aren’t listening, let’s force them to. More generally, protest is more powerful than anyone wants to believe. Rather than using our voices to destroy someone in the comment section of a Facebook post, let’s all realize the power of taking action.

My parents took us to political rallies while we grew up. You never feel connected to so many people at one time.

Somewhere along the line, we forgot that Martin Luther King used his voice as the foundation for his movement on racial equality. He wasn’t a part of the government. He had no financial assets to give him more credibility, he was one man with one dream and one voice. We forgot those people that picketed for a right to vote. Something that many of us took for granted this election.

Protests and social mobilizations might seem like a huge waste of time and space on your timeline, but if nothing else, they get the conversation started. Protests in support of the Black Lives Matter movement have become a mindset with merchandise that people can wear and style their computers and cars with. People mobilizing for marriage equality has produced an overwhelming support for gay rights in general.

No, I’m not condoning criminal damage to property or the violence that sometimes ensues at these protests. However, civil disobedience is what has changed the course of our history. You’ve seen it. I’ve seen it.

The only drawback is privileged people (like myself) aren’t always expected to get involved. As a nation, we have to stand up for those who don’t feel represented. White people need to stand with the Black Lives Matter movement. Men need to stand with women on topics of sexual assault. The overwhelming straight population needs to make our gay, lesbian, trans, bi, and queer brothers and sisters feel just as human as we’ve been made to feel. This is why we have a voice.

We have to get away from the mindset of fear or speaking out. As my mom says, silence is acceptance. So, no matter what you believe in, don’t ever accept the opposite. Blog about it. Create petitions and get the word out. Never be apathetic about your morals, beliefs, and life. You have one life, and you get to chose the power of your voice.  If you’re scared, go to a rally with a bunch of your friends, and let the energy and passion everyone else feels just flow through you. It’s liberating. You’ll never feel more connected to a group of strangers. Are you going to let others speak for you? Or, are you going to be part of the movements we see in history?

University of Wisconsin