Dos and don’ts of Thanksgiving dinner

Your realistic guide to keeping on track this holiday season

What is the best part about the holiday season? Some may argue it’s the festive music and decorations, others will say spending time with family.  We all know everyone’s real answer is the food. I mean, Thanksgiving is basically a day where we all come together simply to eat, and to eat a lot.

Though indulging in your grandma’s delicious, homemade cheesy mashed potatoes might be the highlight of your holiday, the aftermath of weight gain is definitely the downfall. This is your realistic guide to keeping on track this holiday season, starting with the infamous Thanksgiving dinner.

Photography by Emilie Enke 

Do help in the kitchen

Stepping into the kitchen to lend a helping hand is one way to keep healthy eating habits in the forefront of your brain. You don’t have to be a master chef to know if the ingredients in a dish are good or bad for you.

By seeing what exactly is going into the dishes which will end up on the table, you can weed out some of the most unhealthy options and only fill your plate with the (semi) healthy ones. Instead of loading up on casseroles made with heavy cream, opt for a savory squash or autumn salad.  

Don’t neglect water

Odds are you are going to be consuming an unusual amount of sugary food and drink your body isn’t used to. Alternating water with your sweet drinks and having a glass with your meal will help digest everything you are putting into your body…and hopefully prevent a hangover.

Do consider your portions

Although Thanksgiving may seem like an endless buffet, your stomach is only so big. Start off by taking a small taste of each dish you want to try, then go back for seconds of your top two or three foods. After that, as tempting as it may be to keep eating, try to stop. Just remember, there will always be leftovers.  

Don’t be lazy

A long day of eating and drinking should not be accompanied with sitting on the couch. If the weather stays as nice as it has been, get outside!

Go for a walk or play catch in the yard. Small activities will keep your metabolism alive so you don’t fall into a food coma. If you are feeling really ambitious, wake up early and do your regular cardio workout routine.  Or don’t, it is a holiday after all.   

Do save room for dessert

This is very important. As good as all the food at dinner looks, keep in mind the pie hasn’t made it to the table yet. In order to enjoy dessert and not completely stuff yourself, you need to take your time and remember your portions.  

University of Wisconsin