How to handle your first Wisconsin winter

Saying Wisconsin gets ‘cold’ during the winter is an understatement

When applying to colleges, weather is a huge draw for a lot of people. Most of us know Wisconsin gets ‘cold’ in the winter, but the freshmen from outside the Midwest are in for a rude awakening. Wisconsin doesn’t just get cold, it gets unbearably freezing.  However, I have some pro tips to make sure you don’t freeze your tail off this winter.

Buy a parka

Parkas are considered to be the hottest fashion in Wisconsin during the winter because they are a necessity. I guarantee most of the students you see walking to class will be wearing these lovely, long coats once it hits December. I know they aren’t always the cutest, but there are definitely ways to make them bearable. Here, wearing a short coat just isn’t enough–it needs to cover your butt. It really makes a world of a difference.

Bean Boots and Timberlands

Having a pair of durable and warm boots is necessary. The snow tends to get pretty high and wearing anything but tall and thick boots would be a mistake. The most popular winter boots on campus are L.L. Bean boots and Timberland boots. The best part? They work for both boys and girls, so everyone is rocking the same fashion during the winter.

Love Your Melon

Another popular way to stay warm during the Wisconsin winters is by rocking a Love Your Melon hat. They come in a variety of colors and styles, and they are definitely a cute way to add style while still bundling up. Not only do they keep you warm, but they also support a great cause. For every hat bought, one hat is given to a child battling cancer. Love Your Melon is a great way to look good, feel good, and stay warm.

Transportation

It isn’t all about how you dress. Sometimes, even if you are dressed the warmest you possibly can, it still isn’t enough. This is why Madison offers the free 80 bus.

During the winters, the bus is often packed. Getting to the bus stop early is key, but you still might not make it on board. Luckily, there is the greatest invention of all time to help you out, Uber. It may feel embarrassing to say you Ubered to class, but hey, we know everyone is doing it here during the below zero weather.

Hopefully, these tips help everyone survive their first winter on this campus. It gets brutal out there, but know that all of us Sconnies are here struggling with you. The coldest months are approaching so be sure to get your parkas, boots, and hats ready for this winter season.

University of Wisconsin