Dos and don’ts of drinking with your parents

They’ve been partying a lot longer than we have

Family dynamics vary in terms of how parents interact with their children. These dynamics also change over time as kids grow into young adults. If your parents are like mine, they have remained authoritative figures and role models throughout my life, but have more recently become two of my best friends.

Moving away from home has made me appreciate my parents more than ever, and spending time with them is extremely valuable. When they make the trip to Madison, we have so much fun bumming around State Street, shopping at Hilldale, tailgating, or going to dinner and a show.

What makes our time together even more fun is drinking. Something about knocking a couple back with Mom and Dad makes me feel like we understand each other on another level. They had their fun college years, and now they get to relive them with me.

Of course, not all families drink together, and maybe for a good reason. There is a fine line between what is and isn’t acceptable to do with your parents. Here are some rules to have fun and let loose with your parents while still maintaining boundaries.

Do pace yourself

You might be used to taking many shots in a short amount of time before a night out with friends as a way to avoid paying for alcohol, but this is not necessary when you are with your parents. Sip some cocktails, enjoy some conversation, and remember they are paying so thank them.

Don’t embarrass them

If Mom and Dad are kind enough to take you out for a night on the town, then it would be in your best interest to be respectful. Respect yourself, others, and property. Try to avoid foul language that could make you look rude or trashy. Steer clear of flirting which could make multiple people feel awkward. And as tempted as you are to steal the cool beer glass from the fancy bar, leave it there.  

Do make them play drinking games

They want to feel included. Parents would much rather be on your flip cup team than stand around in a stranger’s backyard at a tailgate on game day. Switch out your normal beer pong buddy for either Mom or Dad.  Who knows, they may even help you win.

Don’t act like you know more about alcohol than them

Let’s face it, they’ve been partying a lot longer than we have. If they cut you off for the night, it’s probably in your best interest.

Do ask them to tell stories from their college days

This is the best. Everyone will get a good laugh. You might just find out you’re more alike than you thought.

University of Wisconsin