Dress for DAIS fall fashion show

A night of philanthropy and fashion

On October 20th, the Overture Center was illuminated in purple and sparkled from every corner.  People flooded the lobby dressed in their finest and they mingled over hor d’oeuvres and wine.  The room was buzzing with excitement and anticipation for the night to start: it’s the Dress for DAIS Fall Fashion show.

Being the sixth show of its kind, DAIS staff, volunteers, and supporters all anticipated another great event.

Domestic Abuse Intervention Services, Inc. is a local organization that helps survivors of domestic abuse find shelter and support while working through a difficult time in their lives.

This fundraiser, along with their annual summer luncheon, are the largest events they hold, and they hold nothing short of passion for their cause.

Even the kids were dressed for the runway

According to Communications Manager Kaitlyn Gaynor, DAIS started out in mostly converted homes, giving a space for survivors of domestic abuse.

They struggled with the safety constraints these homes provided, and two years ago, opened a new location on Fordem Avenue.  This space has over 50 rooms available to survivors and family members to stay temporarily, while also providing food and other basic necessities.

This move was critical due to the amount of survivors seeking space to heal, and DAIS is still met with capacity limits.

#DressForDAIS conquered Twitter that night

Along with their boarding services, DAIS also provides a 24-hour hotline where survivors can call and receive support or insight on valuable services.  With all the wonderful things DAIS does to support survivors, it is made possible by about 50 people, an incredibly small number for such a large impact on the Dane County community.

To help raise awareness and funds for this organization, DAIS created this fashion show, and it works.

Ticket sales reached 311 this year, not including discounted student tickets in the balcony. With the promise of raffles, live auctions, and plenty of other opportunities to donate, DAIS reaches new goals each year.

Empowering women modeled local designs

The fashion show was made possible by donations from 12 boutiques and eight salons, each donating their time to this wonderful cause.

The most buzz was about the community involvement: everything is local here.  The boutiques, the salons, even the models were all Wisconsin locals, and this sense of community provided an unparalleled atmosphere.

Volunteers also stressed the idea of positivity.  Though dealing with a hard topic, the fashion show provided a space for body-positive women of all ages to show their pride for their gender.

Models smiled and held hands down the runway, showing the support they have for DAIS as well as each other.

The night started with the drawing of raffle prizes, all of which were donated by local businesses.  After the show, DAIS presented a touching film focusing on the thank you letters clients have written to the organization.  Everyone featured in the film was a client, and the telling of their own stories moved everyone to tears.  As one woman mentioned in the video, DAIS is truly a life-saver, and this service is so important to those surviving this terrible act.

The live auction riled up the crowd after the video, resulting in woos and cheers as models showcased the dresses for bid.  The dress below was sold for $11oo, and DAIS received all of the profits.

With donations coming to an end, the night closed with a performance by the University of Wisconsin-Madison a Capella group, Fundamentally Sound.  These goofy guys strutted down the runway, serenaded an audience member, and made people swoon with their incredible harmonies.  With that light-hearted note, fashion-lovers were left looking forward to what next year has in store.

For more information about DAIS, check out their website at abuseintervention.org

University of Wisconsin