Badgers free the nipple on ‘No Bra Day’

Let it all hang out

Ladies and Gentlemen-National No Bra day is upon us. This holiday is celebrated, so women can celebrate their boobs and get the chance to go bra-less for a day. It’s all about empowering women to be confident and comfortable in their own skin. Our bodies are beautiful and we should never feel ashamed of them or like we have to keep them hidden.

This by all means does not mean girls cannot go bra-less everyday (S/O to the girls who rock this almost every day). No bra- day is all about having the confidence to walk around without a bra on to show you don’t care your nipples may show through the shirt. It’s about standing up against societal standards. Boobs are a part of a woman’s body, so why be afraid to show them if we have them?

tits out for harambe

No matter what we do, they will always be there and y’all gotta get used to that. Guys may not understand this, but wearing a bra isn’t necessarily comfortable… it gets tight, itchy, and feels like it’s restricting us. When we got the opportunity to take that bra off, it gives us a chance to breath and just relax. Why can’t we just go on like this every day instead of just when we’re at home?

When I asked badger girls their thoughts, they fully supported the idea of National No Bra Day.

Why do we HAVE to wear bras?

Girls all over campus had thoughts about today and here are some of the quotes I received.

“No bra day is a great step in the right direction for those of us who are still too insecure to go without a bra daily, but want to start”- Chelsea

“Why shouldn’t we celebrate no bra day? Nipples are a natural part of everyone’s bodies and it’s disrespectful to ourselves to hide them away for the benefit of others.”- Amber

“Everyone has nipples might as well show them off!”- Taylor

“I think it’s just such a freeing and liberating feeling to not feel obligated to wear a bra. Some people aren’t comfortable with that, and that’s okay we can all have opinions. To each of their own”-Karina

“I honestly haven’t worn a bra since March and I couldn’t be happier”- Lily

“Bras are too restricting and I don’t care what other people think, especially guys. We all know they love it anyways.”- Maria

No Bra Day is the best day

“I will never be the woman with the perfect hair, but I will have the best boobs when I’m 80”- Sara

Some girls are just not ready to expose their bodies like this, and that is 100 percent okay. Every girl has the right to show her body in whatever way is most comfortable for her.  We must respect the girls who decide to not show the bodies, but ALSO the girls who do choose to show their bodies even if that means seeing their nipples through their shirts.

Today should be a day that empowers women to love their bodies, and I hope all you beautiful ladies out there fully embrace the opportunity to go bra-less for a whole day, or maybe start to do it on a regular basis.

University of Wisconsin