An ode to Hawk’s bar

Do not request ‘Closer’ by the Chainsmokers on TouchTunes or we’ll all lose our minds

When people think about attending Madison, one of the places they think about is State Street, the iconic street in front of the capitol. To me, college and State Street wouldn’t be the same without the bar right next to Cold Stone, Hawk’s Bar and Grill.

Ever since my boyfriend, Gavin, started working at Hawk’s over two years ago, I instantly felt like I was a part of their little work family, but it’s not just me who feels this way. Everyone who walks into Hawk’s atmosphere feels instantly accepted. 

Derek, Becca, and Ben, managers, immediately make you feel welcome and safe, but they will also give you shit for ordering a long island. Jacob, employee, is the chillest, most laid-back guy you’ll know, but he will kick some ass if he sees you’re in trouble. Aiden, employee, can start a conversation where you two have left off over a year ago. Steven, employee, can be a little intimidating with how tall he is and all of his tattoos, but he is one of the easiest people to talk to. And of course I can’t forget about Gavin, who claims he invented the gummy bear shot, though we all know he didn’t, but we just politely agree and nod our heads anyways.

I can tell you from experience nothing hits the spot at 1 am quite like Hawk’s mozzarella sticks. Even when you’re not drunk, Hawk’s food is always something to be eager for. You’ll want to try everything, from their baked brie appetizer, to their pesto plate, all leading up to dessert–deep fried oreos. Yes, you read correctly. Deep. Fried. Oreos. That’s not even the best part. Hawk’s has Taco Tuesday’s, and if that doesn’t make you want to go out on a Tuesday, I don’t know what will.

Now, I know for this next part you’re going to think, “Who really cares about the decoration or artwork? It’s a bar.” And that’s exactly my point. Most bars nowadays don’t put time into visuals for the eyes to look at; all they care about is how big their TV is. Hawk’s has a whole wall dedicated to old school pictures and pop culture icons, which undoubtedly gives it an alternative, radical vibe. Not only that, but also right when you walk in there’s a huge handmade painting that often goes unnoticed, (which not going to lie I didn’t notice until maybe a few months ago.)

Without a doubt, there is so many other reasons to go out to Hawk’s, for I’ve only given a few. It’s so easy to make friends and memories at this cozy accepting bar. Just one small request? Do not request “Closer” by the Chainsmokers on TouchTunes or we’ll all lose our minds.

University of Wisconsin