How do I know when my social media stalking has become too much?

We’re here to answer life’s toughest questions

Wisdom Wednesdays 

Life and everything in between can be hard, but I’m willing to give it a shot and throw my personal opinion into the mix through this advice column. Don’t be afraid to throw me any type of question, because I’m always up for the challenge.

It’s been over a month and I can’t get over my ex, how do I just move on?

Ex’s can be hard- we hate them, but we also love them. You honestly can never win with this one, but here’s my advice- forget them. It’s easier said than done, but here are a few tips to letting go.

Don’t dwell on the past, and start thinking about your future. The relationship ended for a reason, and you are probably better off a part. Pick yourself off the ground and start doing things for yourself.

Spend time with your friends, get your nails done, get a massage, shoot hoops, do whatever makes you happy. As Tom and Donna would say from Parks and Rec- TREAT YO SELF. Time to treat yo self. Heartbreak is the perfect reason to have a little fun and splurge.

Exes can be hard to get over, but it’s all about having a positive mentality. If you let yourself keep thinking about your ex, lounge around doing nothing, and are in the mindset your life is over, then you’re setting yourself up to fail.

Think of all the positive things that can come from the end of this relationship. You’re no longer tied down, you have more free time to do whatever you want, and no one has a say in what you can and can’t do.

We all cope with ex’s differently, and I know some of us choose the ol’ “if you can’t get over an ex, then get under someone else” as a way to get over them, which works differently from person to person. Sometimes a little action is just what you need to take your mind off of it all.

If you’re having a tough time with your ex, just remember you aren’t the only one who is struggling and a new (better) significant other will be coming your way very soon.

Thinking about last night’s guy

To be honest, I don’t know a single person that doesn’t stalk people on social media. It’s human nature to do so, and we don’t even realize we’re doing it until we’re in far too deep to go back.

You start on your friend’s Instagram, then you go to her boyfriend’s Instagram, then you find yourself on his cousin’s page, and before you know it, you’re looking at some complete stranger on Instagram, but you’re so intrigued and you can’t stop looking.

The explore page on Instagram is a dangerous place to be….there’s just so many pictures and people to look at. One thing that always gets me are cute relationship pictures on Instagram- once I see one….I creep on the entire relationship. Honestly, not a healthy thing, but people should at least feel flattered I’m taking time out of my day to stalk them.

I think one of the worst things that can happen while social media stalking is when you’re in really deep and you accidentally double click on someones picture and there’s no going back. You liked a picture from 10 months ago on someone’s profile, and you have no idea who they are, but found them on your explore page. What makes it even worse is when you like a person’s picture you “know” but not technically in person or anything. Things just get uncomfortable, and you don’t know whether to commit to liking the picture or unlike it.

When you accidentally like a picture from over two years ago….

When you know your social media creeping has gone too far is when you actually meet the person face-to-face and you bring up a fact you could’ve only known by creeping on their social media and then you have to admit to stalking them beforehand. Most of the time, it turns out to be a really funny joke, but sometimes it’s just really uncomfortable, especially if it’s on a first date.

I can’t say I’ll ever stop stalking people on social media because honestly it’s the #lifestyle that I’m willing to live, but it’s important not to take it too far and be consumed by the lives of others. Remember to be present and interact with people in real life instead of just stalking them on social media.

Please send questions to [email protected]

University of Wisconsin