What your residence hall says about you

Where you choose to live says a lot about who you are

There is more to a dorm than meets the eye. Each residence hall has a different vibe shaped by its location and the people who live there. Assuming you got your first pick of housing, here is what your residence hall says about you.

Sellery

Situated at the corner of W Johnson St and N Park St, Sellery is in the optimum location for freshmen students to learn the city and the campus in a quick and easy fashion. Residents of Sellery appreciate convenience and simplicity. The Serf and Gordon’s are practically within 100 yards of Sellery’s front door making it easy to grab meals and get in a work out on the daily. If you live in Sellery you are probably an out of state student and will likely rush a fraternity or sorority to become connected on campus.       

Witte

Just down the road from Sellery stands its twin tower, Witte. Nicknamed “Shitty Witte,” this hall has all the same locational perks as Sellery and was built only a year after Sellery, but somehow gets a bad rap. Students who live in Witte are likely to be basketball or hockey fans hoping to get a room with a window facing the Kohl Center. It seems as though many Wisco natives live in Witte, but they likely will also get involved in greek life to meet new and exciting people from all over the States.    

Smith   

A little out of the way, but still close to the hub of the city resides Smith in all of its air conditioned and walk-in closeted glory. Students living in Smith are either freshmen that want to live in Southeast but value their personal hygiene too much to live in Sellery and Witte, sophomores planning to study abroad, or transfer students just getting their bearings. Students living in Smith aren’t afraid to sacrifice making intimate connections with their floor in exchange for a little more privacy and space.

Liz Waters

Up high on Observatory Drive little Liz sits pretty watching the sunset over Lake Mendota. Elizabeth Waters is one of the more historical residence halls on campus and in one of the most beautiful locations. This residence hall offers the perfect balance of the Southeast and Lakeshore neighborhoods. Students living in Liz Waters want to be a part of the nightlife Madison has to offer, but like to go home to a quiet and relaxing place. The closest of the Lakeshore dorms to the city, living here isn’t ideal for partygoers, but it is manageable. When winter rolls around you can bet parties in the dorms start to pop up as students don’t want to face the cold. This means if you live in Liz you are probably close with your floor and enjoy spending free time with them.

Dejope

About halfway between the Terrance and Picnic Point, “Hotel” Dejope spans across a lush green lawn. Some students refer to this new residence hall as the hotel because of its modern exterior and cushy conditions. If you live in Dejope, you are most likely one of two things: a student athlete, or an outdoor enthusiast. Dejope attracts members of the football, soccer, and rowing teams due to its proximity to practice locations. It is also inviting to outdoorsy students with its cabin-like decor. Inside, birch bark canoes suspend from the ceiling and hand carved paddles hang on the walls. You can cozy up next to an elaborate stone fireplace for a snack or study sesh. Outside, you can hop on Lakeshore Path for a relaxing walk with a friend or roast marshmallows with your floor mates. Students living in Dejope appreciate comfort and relaxation. They don’t mind the considerable distance from academic buildings because they either enjoying riding their bike to class or have a moped to get them there in a jiffy.

Kronshage

Tucked away off the beaten path is Kronshage. Set up like a quaint community of apartments facing a common court yard, this housing option allows students to get to know their peers very well in a smaller setting than most other halls. If you live in Kronshage you are probably best friends with the people around you and partake in many activities the hall has to offer. On the west end of campus, Kronshage residents are very close to the engineering buildings making it the perfect place for students majoring in the field.

Of course, it is important to remember  UW-Madison is a school with many different facets and opportunities for you to explore. Your housing situation does not have to define you, but instead opens the doors to new experiences that are worth taking advantage of.

University of Wisconsin