Self-discipline for the coming year

What can we do to ensure school mode doesn’t turn into stress mode?

Summer has ended and the inevitable return of the school year approaches. Sometimes it can be difficult to transition from summer mode to study mode. How can we ensure this switch goes smoothly and create good habits for the year? It’s called mastering self-discipline. Though it sounds like a negative term, people who are self-disciplined are actually happier and healthier. It can help you achieve goals and become successful. You’ll be neater, smarter, and healthier, which is great all around! So, how can you be self-disciplined?

Follow the basic principles your mama always preached

Get enough sleep, eat good food, take care of yourself, and make sure your living space doesn’t look like your snap story after a night out. In doing so, you’ll actually start to feel better. Not only will school get better, all aspects of your life will start to improve.

Schedule

Sleeping until noon? Sometimes this is the move. Especially after a long night out (at the lib, obviously). But it’s important to create a good sleeping schedule to follow that doesn’t involve sleeping in (i.e. waking up and going to sleep around the same time and having a morning routine). This is super important if you intend to make the most out of your day and your year.

Yes to the gym and no to that third slice of pizza

Yo, I like 2am binge eating just as much as the rest of you, but sometimes you have to take a second and reevaluate. Eating a healthy, balanced diet (and splurging when the time is right) is crucial to maintain your zen. And then exercising, even if it’s just getting in those ten thousand steps a day, is really beneficial.

Hide your wallet

No, not really, but spending too much can really screw up your bank account and your flow. Set finance goals/limits, and start building your credit. Those economics classes you didn’t pay attention to are kind of important actually! Oops…

Hit the town

Wait, what? I was just talking about being healthy and now I’m telling you to go out? YES! Maintaining relationships and friendships in a social setting is so important. Just make sure you’re saying no when something else needs to take priority (like studying, lol).

Be passionate about something

It doesn’t matter what it is (except it’s mostly legal and not too awful for you). Find something that makes you feel alive, hold on to it, and never let it go. Laugh often, smile wide, and make the most of this crazy little thing we call life.

Follow these tips, and you’ll be off to a great start for having a more disciplined and ultimately happier year.

University of Wisconsin