Important tips for freshman Badgers

Everything you need to know to have the best freshman year

First of all, congratulations. You are officially a Badger! Whether you have been waiting for this moment ever since you were a kid, or you have a newfound passion for Bucky, you are going to love it here.

As an incoming freshman, you are probably excited to enjoy the campus life and take advantage of everything this school and the Madison community offer.

However, you most likely also have many concerns because moving to a new city, meeting new people, and getting adjusted to a new lifestyle are not going to be easy. You are going to have fun but also face numerous challenges during your freshman year.

That’s why we are giving you some useful tips based on our own experiences, so you can live your first year here to the fullest.

Leah Voskuil, 21, Senior

Use your bus pass! Explore Madison!

It’s important to be part of campus life, but also remember there is much more to Madison, Wisconsin, than Bascom Hill and the Terrace. This school gives you a free bus pass, use it!

You don’t have to be best friends with your roommate(s), but you do have to effectively communicate with each other.

Go to parties if you want. Go to the library if you want. Party in the library if you want. You can find friends anywhere as long as you are kind, open and honest.

Remember grades are important but nowhere near as important as your mental, physical, and emotional health.

Make sure you utilize all UHS has to offer UW-Madison’s campus. Keep their number saved in your phone.

Change your mind often. This is the time to figure out who you are. Don’t waste time thinking you already have life figured out.

Stay in touch with the professors and people who influence your life while you’re here at Madison. If you appreciate someone, tell them.

Be careful to not fall into the traps of convenience, especially here at UW-Madison. If you need groceries, go off-campus to find them.

RateMyProfessor matters, but sometimes you have to suck it up and take the class.

Madison is an incredibly radical city. Participate in the protests as much as possible.

Krystal Du, 20, Junior

Once you try this, you will understand why there is always a long line at the Thai food truck.

Try the $3 spring roll at the Thai food truck in Library Mall.

Make sure to find your classrooms before school starts.

Whether or not you are a football fan, go to at least one game.

If you are going to a party, always go with friends.

Monay, 21, Senior

Don’t think GPA doesn’t matter in college. It does.

GPA does indeed matter, and first semester freshman year is the best semester to start good study habits and establish a strong GPA. Second semester freshman year, you can learn from mistakes and improve.

Take advantage of the first free week of group-x classes at the SERF.

It’s good to talk and check in with your house fellow because they are good sources to help you adjust to campus.

Enjoy freshman year. It will go by so fast!

Brennan Murphy, 20, Junior

There are plenty of things to do in Madison other than drinking.

You don’t have to drink, and you can find friends and activities where that’s not the focus.

You can find friends through trying new clubs. Just be an extrovert, and talk to people. They want new members, and they want to make new friends too.

Identify TAs [Teaching Assistants] and Professors who care.

Anne Blackbourn, 20, Junior

Get to know your professors and advisors. Most of them really do care about you and your future.

It is okay to ask for help. Your professors want to get to know you and help you with school, career plans, or anything else you may need help with to get you through your first year of college.

Join a club or student organization. I met a lot of new people when I joined a student newspaper on campus and learned a lot about campus life.

You don’t have to declare your major. Explore all your options, and find something you would be interested in majoring in for the next three years.

Jonah Koplin, 21, Junior

Take advantage of the beautiful weather and campus by biking around.

Get a bike. Big campus, but also a great way to stay in shape!

Go to the org fair [Student Organization Fair], sign up for a lot, and then figure out which clubs you want to be part of.

Don’t be afraid to try some classes you would have never have imagined taking.

Haerin Lee, 20, Junior

Be aware. This building is a maze.

Prepare to get lost in the Humanities Building.

Fulfill the Comm A requirement by second semester.

Your career goal or college major might change, but don’t feel too bad about it.

Daiki Yanagawa, 19, Sophomore

Badgers work hard and play hard.

Always make sure to balance between studying and socializing.

Start on your assignments as soon as possible.

Go to classes. Otherwise you will get lost, and it is going to be hard to catch up later.

Try to go to as many kick-off meetings as possible. You will find your community and a place to devote your passion. There is also free food usually.

Follow these tips, and you’re going to have a great freshman year! On Wisconsin!

University of Wisconsin