Every type of person you’ll meet at UW-Madison orientation

How may of these were in your SOAR group?

Summer orientation is a time set aside for incoming freshman to get another look at the campus, plan their schedule for the fall and meet a few of their fellow classmates. While the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s summer orientation breaks down the incoming freshman class into smaller groups, there are a few types of people that are present in every section.

After the SOAR advisers split you into groups by your intended major, you will get placed in a group with the following archetypes.

The one totally lost without their mom

After having their mom set up their wiscmail, schedule their SOAR date and do everything short of posing for their student ID photo, this incoming freshman will appear totally lost. Try to avoid sitting near this student or you risk the chance of becoming their new ‘mom,’ being forced to basically create their entire fall schedule.

The Sorority Gal

If you are looking to rush in the fall, this girl may just become your new best friend. She will likely have the inside scoop on UW-Madison’s best sororities, what she’s wearing for recruitment and which parties to hit during the first weekend at school.

The know-it-all

This student has read every scrap of material available for UW-Madison students and will regurgitate it all to you. If you’re confused about which classes to take,  want to know where the closest library is to each dorm or want to hear a brief biography of each professor, this incoming freshman is your go-to guide. If not, direct this student toward ‘totally lost without their mom’ and watch a friendship blossom.

The undecided student

During my freshman orientation, I was this student. Having absolutely no idea what I wanted to study, my schedule included classes ranging from Economics 101 to Design 120. If you are the undecided student, do not let your SOAR adviser talk you into taking ridiculous classes because you will be making up these lost credits later. Instead, stick to the classes that are required for most majors and discover what you’re interested in that way.

The younger sibling

As the younger sibling of a current or former UW-Madison student, this incoming freshman knows about the easiest classes to take and which cafeterias have the best food. While a lot of what they tell you will be super interesting, beware of getting stuck listening to hundreds stories about their older sibling’s ‘epic’ nights out in Madison.

There will undoubtedly be a few more characters, but soak it all in and get ready for the best four years of your life!

University of Wisconsin