The best summer date ideas in Madison

I’ve got you covered

The summers in Madison are a magical time: everyone comes out to enjoy the nice weather, and romances start to bud. Instead of taking your new beau (or your steady beau) on the same dates again and again, I have some wonderful ideas for fun summer dates in the city.

Have a food cart picnic

Library Mall is a great spot to sunbathe and people watch, and the abundance of food carts makes for a very unique date. This is the perfect spot for a first date: if silence gets the best of you, you can watch the passersby without it getting super uncomfortable. Bascom Hill is always a great place to sit and enjoy the company of others: just look at how beautiful it is!  Buy some burritos, fried cookie dough, and smoothies and spread out your blanket for a cute-ass picnic.

Rent a some kayaks from Hoofers

Are you and your date looking for some Terrace fun while it’s under construction? Hoofers will still be open this summer! Grab a paddle and a couple kayaks, and set off on your adventure. I also recommend the stand-up paddle boards: it’s a fun way to look like a fool and be silly, while enjoying the water. Just make sure the weather is warm so falling in the water won’t be a chilling experience.

Go outdoor mini-golfing

Vitense Golf has a two outdoor courses that take you back to your childhood. Full of slides and giant hippos, this course lets you soak in the sun while indulging in your childish side. Mini-golfing is a great way to show your competitive side, and you two can get some delicious ice cream afterwards. Who wouldn’t want ice cream?

Grab a B-Cycle and ride around campus

When the weather is nice, take your date on a bike ride around campus. When you have your nose to the grindstone during the year, it’s hard to appreciate the beauty of our campus. You can make your way around the lake and to Picnic Point for a scenic breather. A day pass for B-Cycle is only $6, so if you don’t own a bike, this is an inexpensive way to pretend like you do.

Have a cheese curd crawl

The cheese curds around the city are to die for, and I bet you two haven’t tried them all. Research the places with the “best” cheese curds around and see for yourselves which ones win.

Take your date to the Comedy Club

There’s nothing better than good jokes, cold drinks, and great company. Take your beau to a night full of comedy, and be prepared to laugh your ass off. The Comedy Club is much more fun than watching the same comedy on Netflix again.

Happy dating everyone!

University of Wisconsin