The do’s and don’ts of running a half marathon

What I learned from running my first half marathon, and what I wish I would have known

When I decided I was going to run my first half marathon in December, I had no idea how much it would change my life. The constant workouts and the cross training transformed my body and my mental strength for the better. With the Madison half marathon coming up, I want to share the things I learned and the things I regret from my half marathon training.

Do: Have a practice race

I ran Crazy Legs the week before my half, and I learned so much from it. I had never run a race before, so I learned how long it takes my body to digest breakfast, that I can’t run and drink water at the same time, and that I definitely needed to stretch more. This trial run (lol pun) helped me learn about what my body needs during a race.

Don’t: Eat breakfast too close to race time

I had a large stitch in my side where my yogurt and granola sat, and it was extremely painful. Make sure to eat breakfast a ways in advance; for me, that was two hours.

Do: Make a kick-ass running playlist

I put three hours worth of my favorite songs to get me through the run. If you’d like to see what I listen to, you can find my playlist “run run run” on Spotify.

Don’t: Rely on regular Spotify

I made the mistake of relying on my free Spotify to work in the bluffs while I ran. My music quit after one song, and I listened to nothing for the rest of the run. I do suggest, however, taking a break from your music for a little while. It’s so inspiring to hear the cheers of the spectators and the sound of your feet hitting that pavement.

Do: Buy cushioned inserts for your shoes

This saved me. I put a brand new pair of sole inserts into my running shoes before my race, and I think this was the best decision I made. Though I did get a small blister from my foot rubbing against my shoe in a new way, my knees and my feet were saved from complete agony.

Don’t: Pass on the foil

For all of you who haven’t run races before like me, I had no idea what the foil capes at the end of the race were for. I passed on it, and my body cooled down way too fast without it, making me feel sick. Even if you think they look silly or you feel really warm after your race, take a wrap. You will thank yourself later.

Do: Stretch and roll out the night before

I used a foam roller, a hand roller, and a lacrosse ball to thoroughly stretch out before the big day, and I woke up feeling incredibly relaxed and ready to run. There is nothing worse than sore muscles when you start running, and I highly encourage all three methods. The foam roller is excellent for your lower back and hips, the hand roller for your calves and thighs, and the lacrosse ball is heaven on your feet.

Don’t: Ignore your body

Running a half marathon is all about pushing yourself to do what your mind thinks you can’t. However, you need to remember not to push yourself past your breaking point. I saw runners who collapsed because they pushed too hard, and it’s scary. Please take care of yourself, listen to your body, and enjoy the race.

Do: Have a support system

My parents came to watch my first race, and when I didn’t think I had another mile in me, it was amazing to see my proud parents telling me I could. There’s something about having your loved ones there yelling your name that makes you believe in yourself a little bit more.

Don’t: Forget to drink water before and after

When I run, I get very tired, so I fell asleep immediately after the race. This was a poor choice. I woke up feeling so dehydrated with a killer headache. It wasn’t until my third Gatorade that I felt like myself again, so I highly recommend drinking a shit-ton of water and Gatorade before and after.

Do: Empty your tank completely

In the words of my cousin Courtney, “better out completely than as your luggage buddy in your pants throughout the race.”

Don’t: Ignore your stretches afterwards  

When I woke up the next morning, I could barely climb out of my bed: my hips were so tight! Make sure to roll out thoroughly before you go to bed, otherwise the next morning is going to be a literal pain.

Good luck to all of those training for a half marathon!  It was one of the most rewarding moments of my life, and I wish you all well and happy running!

University of Wisconsin