The truth about what it’s like living in Sellery Hall

Welcome to life in Mad-city

Sellery Hall is famous on UW-Madison’s campus for being one of the oldest, largest and most rowdy dorms. Sellery Hall, also known as “The Sell” is home to 1,152 Freshman Badgers every year. Because of it’s prime location on campus, it is known for being a “party dorm.”

I’m now finishing my freshman year here at UW, and my time as a resident of Sellery Hall. I figured it was time to tell the truth (good and ugly) about what it’s like to live in arguably one of the craziest dorms on campus.

The good

One of the best things about living in a dorm that is exclusively for freshmen is that you instantly have people to bond with when you first move in. Trust me, it will be awkward the first couple of times you have to walk to the bathroom in a towel to shower or when you don’t know anyone in the dining hall and have to eat by yourself. But sooner than you will expect, the people that are just strangers when you first moved in will quickly become your family.

This is a picture of the setup that I have in my dorm

Yes, believe it or not leaving your beds un-lofted is very possible in Sellery (if you and your roommate don’t have a futon).

Also keep in mind that there are two towers each with nine floors so even if you don’t find your niche on your own floor, you have over a thousand other kids living in the same building that you might meet in classes or on a night out.

Nothing better than Badger Gamedays with your floor

The not so good

Yes, the building is old. That being said, I think that it gives it some character and really makes me feel like I am living the “typical” college freshman experience. Community showers are really not that bad because people have different schedules.

Sellery is a very social dorm which can be both a good and not so good thing at times. On most weekends and especially on gamedays the hallways are filled with noisy people and the walls are paper thin. I’m not exaggerating either, my roommate has the head of her bed up against the wall and can hear what our neighbors watch on TV every night before bed. Also, be prepared for some puke incidents, but do not fear. The Sell knows when to bunker down and focus on schoolwork. Take advantage of the location and find good hidden study spots such as the SAC (Student Activity Center) or even the second floor of Gordons.

My floor decided to have a “Floormal” to celebrate the end of the year

If you’re an incoming freshman student and you’re considering Sellery Hall I say, GO FOR IT. It’s a little tight (the rooms can get pretty cramped) but it really is the best place to be because of how social it is. You will meet some pretty amazing people and create some even better memories during your time in The Sell. Enjoy it, and welcome to life in Mad-city.

University of Wisconsin