I loved freshman year, but I can’t wait to go home for the summer

There’s no place like home

It feels just like yesterday that I walked into an empty dorm room full of boxes to be unpacked. And now eight months later, my room once again looks exactly the same. Ending freshman year is bittersweet; reflecting on memories made, looking forward to the years to come. As much as I will miss Wisconsin over the next four months, I could not be more excited to go home for the summer. Here are some reasons why:

The food

While the food in Madison is arguably some of the best in the world and I could never pass up on a spring roll, nothing compares to a home cooked meal. There is no feeling more exciting than answering the door when your all-time favorite food is being delivered.

Cleanliness

Sure, the college dorms are clean and I’m pretty neat, but I am so looking forward to taking a shower without the fear of getting athletes foot or feeling suffocated.

Personal space

In college it is hard to find time when you are truly by yourself, and sometimes a little bit of alone time is needed. Ah, how I am looking forward to having my own room!!!

Family TLC

While I used to get annoyed by my parents constantly asking what I was up to, I am so eager to have all the attention on me when I arrive home. Nothing like a bunch of hugs, kisses, and a billion questions.

Sleep

It’s finals week right now. Enough said.

My sister

Instead of Facetiming every day to tell each other every little detail of our lives, (maybe sometimes too much) we will be home together for the first summer in 12 years. Goodbye terrible Wi-Fi!!!

Familiarity

The first year of college is new and exciting and definitely scary. It’s very comforting to be back on your home turf, surrounded by the ones you love.

Friends

Oh, how I have missed my home friends! No longer will we be scattered across the country, but laughing and running around at home—right where we belong.

The adventures

At home there is always something to do, something new to explore. I can’t wait to hop in the car, turn on the radio, and see where summer 2016 takes me!

University of Wisconsin national-us