What I learned after not drinking for a month

Yes friends, I did actually have fun. No friends, I’m not excited to be able to drink again

That was it. One month of resisting all temptations has just ended. That was five weekends. I can now honestly say I have not felt better than this in such a long time.

I loved alcohol. I didn’t drink it for the sake of getting hammered or trying to fit in. I drank because I genuinely loved the tastes of some selective, quality cocktails and the awesome, loose and relaxing state I’m in under any circumstances. That was why I could never decline drink invitations. With a relatively high tolerance, I never really had problems with drinking. My friends would jokingly say I was an alcoholic, but I knew I was nowhere to being one, simply because I could (almost) always control my limits. I also knew I should moderate the amount of alcohol intake I was consuming, but I didn’t really have a big enough motivation to follow through with it.

Just my old self amidst the tipsy stage on the beach.

Until one day.

Spring break practically destroyed my liver. I had a rash from some alcohol reaction which I’d never had before. I thought, “Why do I do this to myself?” Then began my one month without any booze on the campus known for its drinking culture. And here are the five things I experienced during that one month.

Spring break 2016 in New Orleans didn’t end so well

People questioned my presence at parties

Everyone had a series of questions, “No way! Are you serious? Why? Are you sure you’re having fun?” whenever I told them I was going dry for a full month. Some laughed at and some respected my decision. Though I was firm and determined enough to not let peer pressure or temptations lure me back to the habit, the first weekend was definitely the toughest.

Being the only sober one wasn’t much fun

I got to see the most nasty and creepiest things drunk people do

Knowing what drunk people (mostly guys) do at the bars is one thing. Witnessing all of that when you’re sober is an entirely different experience that you’ll never want to go through. If those weren’t sexual harassment or at least attempts to, I don’t know what else they could be. Yet, drunk girls are completely indifferent to that and no one seemed to mind. What bothered me the most is that I couldn’t do anything but turn a blind eye to it.

Seeing all the crazy things people do at the bars are very cringe-worthy

I knew how to say “No”

I believe I’m speaking for many girls out there who frequent at the bars or clubs. Most people just can’t find a way to say no outright when dudes approach them. They either have that “EMERGENCY! SOS!” look to seek help from friends, or simply pretend to not notice. I was also like that. However, being completely sober gave me the courage and the right attitude to just look at the guys in the eyes and say “No.” Trust me, this works better than any creep-avoiding methods you’ve tried.

Just no

I stopped craving for it

Don’t judge me at the word “craving,” but I really used to have an alcohol-craving by every Thursday even though it would’ve only been six days since I last drank. As the month progressed, I stopped wanting to have any drinks even on a night out. I was fine with being sober, though the party scenes kept on bothering me. Now as the month is over, I got asked whether I am excited to be able to drink again. To my own surprise, I actually don’t look forward to drinking at all. I won’t have a reason to restrain anymore, but I know I won’t fall back on my past track. This brings me to my next point.

While my love for alcohol remains intact, it’s not my “best friend” anymore

The most obvious effect this dry month has had on me is the health benefits, both physically and mentally. My skin has gotten better. I’ve been sleeping much better. I don’t wake up tired and grumpy anymore. My weekends have been way more productive, simply because I could now get up and running before 1:00 p.m. I’m also patting myself on the back for saving my liver.

In addition to a healthier life, my bank account definitely has a lot to thank for.

I don’t want to sound condescending, but I really do recommend everyone who is a regular drinker to go on a dry month. The effect is immense, and you may (or may not) realize how much your mindset could change over the month. I don’t think I will ever go sober for the rest of my life, but I’m certainly conscious of my own health and willing to alter any negative habits to ensure a better quality for my young adult life.

University of Wisconsin