A look into this year’s Lit Fest

Honk if you love Shakespeare

img-1496-e1461195814482 (1)
Every year, the Wisconsin Union Directorate Publications Committee holds Lit Fest, which celebrates literature in a multitude of ways. In honor of his departure from this world 400 years ago, this year’s theme encompassed the many works of William Shakespeare.

WUD Publications has been working tirelessly to bring the campus and community a Lit Fest that will knock your socks off! Rachel Wanat, the director of WUD Publications, has been working year-round to make this the #YearofShakespeare! With all the hard work WUD Publications Committee has put into this showing, I was more than thrilled to be in attendance.

I was also thrilled to win a prize for answering a Shakespeare question right. I love PubCom, and Shakespearean insults. I’ll be sure to whip out “you facinerious, hollow-eyed abomination” sometime soon.

The event, lasting a total of six hours, was full of Shakespeare. A visit from the youngsters over at Young Shakespeare Players kicked off the event, which is always impressive to watch; these kids are anywhere from 8-18 years old, and show a love for acting out Shakespeare plays. Who knew we had such a concentration of these kids in the Madison area?

Graduating from grade school to adulthood, the afternoon continued with behind-the-scenes look at how an American Player’s Theater production comes together. ATP is a world-renowned performance troupe located in Spring Green, Wisconsin and they are incredibly well-versed in Shakespeare. They allowed visitors to see how they bring together a performance, costumes and set designs: a play-lover’s dream!

I needed a little break from sitting in a theater, so I moseyed down to the Wheelhouse Studio where I made a sick-ass Shakespeare craft. You could put your favorite Shakespeare quote on a panel and keep it five-ever (like forever, but longer). When everyone was writing meaningful quotes that are actually nice and great, this is what I made:

When I was done pretending to be an artist, it was time to chat with Anna Deavere Smith, an famous actress, professor, and playwright. By far, it was the most powerful sector of the night. She focused her piece on the power of words, and how different people have used their words to depict their stories. With Shakespeare as her influence, she talks to people around the nation and shares their stories with those who will listen.

I rounded out the night by attending Lit After Dark, a monthly event held at Memorial Union. This event celebrates writers and musicians on our campus, giving them an outlet to share their work. The addition of a sonnet competition definitely added to the theme.

In case anyone was wondering, Madison delivered on their promise: it really is the #YearofShakespeare.

University of Wisconsin