Becoming a yogi was the best decision I made

Namaste

Seasonal Depression is seriously real. Sadness, anxiety, and apathy can arise from the falling of the leaves and the howling of the wind. As a freshman at UW, I was definitely prone to such symptoms as I would watch the temperature drop on my phone to close to -30 degrees. My friends and I would joke around and say “The sun doesn’t shine in Wisconsin”—but after one day of feeling adventurous I found my own ray of light: Sculpt Flow.

Sculpt Flow is a hot yoga class at Inner Fire Yoga. Rather than just focusing on vinyasa flows, Sculpt Flow incorporates resistance training through the use of weights and lively music. Fast paced movements in conjunction with specific breathing techniques create a positive blood-pumping environment that allows for yogis like myself (Yes, I am 100 percent a yogi now) to form their own sculpt mentality.

I have developed a mentality of remaining open minded and continuing to push forward due to Sculpt Flow. Being a 19-year-old girl who faces daily pressures regarding schoolwork, friends, relationships and home-life, needless to say life can certainly be chaotic. However when inside the window-lit yoga studio filled with vibrantly colored mats, my mind is instantly cleared and at ease. I have been able to transplant these feelings of open mindedness to a variety of situations, remembering to remain calm and engage in activates outside of my comfort zone.

I have additionally learned to challenge myself and never just settle. Sculpt flow has pushed me to activate muscles differently than I ever had before. I am not the strongest of girls, so lifting weights while in a forward lunge position did come as a struggle to me at first. But with constant practice and encouragement, little routines became easier and easier. With the completion of one task comes the pursuit for another, allowing for me to further challenge myself. This idea of continuing to push forward is now regularly applied to my everyday life. Whether it be a low grade on a test, homesickness, or simply writers block, I am more capable of dealing with the issue at hand and progressing onward.

In all honesty, I genuinely believe I am an overall happier person because of sculpt. Not only do I feel better physically, but mentally I also feel rejuvenated. If there’s one thing I’ve learned from religiously attending Sculpt Flow, it’s that even in the darkest, most frigid of storms, you can definitely find a little sunshine.

University of Wisconsin national-us