Everything only Theatre majors know too well

No, I’m not being overdramatic

I came into my college career set on the idea I would be a theatre major and would pursue acting following college. Now, I have had a change of heart on my career choice, but theatre will always remain close to my heart. Being in the theatre program has taught me a lot of valuable transferable skills such as work ethic, creativity and passion.

Theatre, art and music allow your brain to work in a different way

There are academic benefits as studies have shown  that students in the arts tend to perform significantly better on their SATS. Theatre is a cathartic experience when it is performed, but even when it is just consumed it opens eyes to new issues and allows for a strong connection and insight to humanity. These appeals have caused theatre to have been in society for centuries.

You become comfortable and confident with who you are

Social benefits such as making friends allow you to become more outgoing by being in front of an audience and sharing your work. Memorizing lines can help train your brain to remember names and details about people more quickly. After some of the ridiculous things you do in class, you have rarely have any fear of presentations (public speaking is the number one fear in America). And of course, many of the best friends that are in my life are from theatre. When you work on a show or even take a class you really become a family and as an only child, I have always loved that feeling.

It helps develop strong work ethic, full on commitment to projects and seeing the big picture

When you agree to do a show, there is no halfway doing it. You have to meet deadlines. Opening night waits for no actor that is unprepared. If you aren’t ready and everyone else is, you’re letting down the whole group as well as yourself. Being involved in theatre is also very time-consuming and the pay (if there’s any) is usual small. If you’re in school, juggling theatre can be a challenge, but it teaches you how to prioritize and focus your free time. You’re doing this because you love and it because of the stories that you’re telling for the audience.

Creative thinking is stimulated during the theatre process

In the modern world of digital media and marketing, creativity goes a looong way. By frequently using the creative side of my brain, I have noticed that this has helped me during brainstorming sessions. You have a different take on the world because of how theatre has challenged your mind to perceive it. This is also a huge help with problem-solving (another valued work skill). In theatre, you have to be ready to adapt to a show within seconds. When lines are dropped, they need to be picked up or someone leaves a prop onstage that needs to be out of the way. How does it make sense with your character to get it offstage? If you have seen shows and thought everything went perfectly then the actors did a great job because things never go perfectly.

Never settle, always aim higher

Many people reach a phase of stability in their jobs. In theatre, we always try to make things better. There is always room for improvement. It’s not even perfectionism, it’s that every night there are new discoveries between the actors and audience that inform the story further. As one of my director’s always said, the last show you do should be the best one you put on.

Though there are currently arts requirements at the high school level, it usually stops there. Currently, there is a big push for increasing teaching art in elementary and high school, but not college. Arts students still have to take some math and science, but not vice versa and this is not even considered a concern. Many students I have come into contact with that have taken at least one theatre course have said that it was a positive experience for allowing them to explore their body as well as the hard-hitting themes that plays tackle.

I have now discovered that even though I might not pursue a professional career as a performer, that theatre has given me tools that transfer. These begin but don’t end with focus, confidence, creativity, and many, many more. I am forever grateful.

University of Wisconsin