Why Long Island is the best place in the world

Bagels are part of our culture

hometown banner

Off the north east coast of the United States lays a fish-shaped island that has succeeded in stealing my heart. This is Long Island – the crowned jewel of New York. And while many people who live on Long Island (yes, we live ON Long Island not IN) are stereotypically known as being showy and ostentatious, it happens to be one of the most culturally inviting and homey spots across the globe.

Here are just a few reasons why Long Island is undeniably the best place in the world:

We are right outside the city

Whether driving in a car or hopping on the infamous LIRR, Long Island is just a short ways from New York City. Not many other people besides Long Islanders have the opportunity to engage in the big apple’s hustle and bustle and return home to serene suburbia.

The shopping is amazing

If you’re looking to go on an ultimate shopping spree, then Long Island is the best place to be. From the high-end stores located along the Miracle Mile to the all time favorites at Roosevelt Field Mall, hours upon hours may be spent window gazing and swiping credit cards.

The bagels

You think your hometown has the best bagels? Haha. Then you CLEARLY have not been to Long Island. Without a doubt, Long Island has the absolute best bagels in the world. Lox, cream cheese, tuna, flagels—we have it all. They’re part of our culture, honestly.

Seasonal activities

While most people view the changing of seasons to mean falling leaves and spring-cleaning, Long Islanders view it as a change in activity and adventure. Whether pumpkin picking in the Hamptons during the fall, tasting wine on the North Fork in the spring, or surfing in Montauk throughout summer, Long Island has something new and exciting to offer every season.

Diners

You can’t drive for more than 15 minutes without passing a diner on Long Island. Diners serve as the ultimate 1:30am spot to grab fries and a shake as well as the premier place to meet your grandparents about 10 hours later for Sunday brunch. We basically never leave.

Rich history

Various historical landmarks can be found all across the Island, shaping it into what it is today. We are home to Theodore Roosevelt’s Victorian estate, science museums, the Montauk Point Lighthouse, and The Great Gatsby inspired homes, and we are proud!

Sunset viewed from the light house

Beaches

Long Island has some of the most beautiful beaches in the country. Long Beach, Jones Beach, Lido Beach, and Atlantic Beach, just to name a few, provide the perfect at-home summer getaway.

We are a tightly-knit community

On Long Island, everybody knows everybody and we are all always there for each other. No matter where you go, you can spot a fellow Long Islander and automatically feel the connection. It’s one of the best and most comforting feelings when you have a little piece of Long Island with you, any place in the world!

University of Wisconsin