What’s your Tribe story?

#OneTribeManyHoagies

William & Mary is a no-bullshit community. You always think of places that transcend facades, preach a program, and put their money where their mouth is. This school is such an institution.

One of the many doctrines to pass through the mouths of students and staff is “One Tribe, Many Stories.” Voiced heavily during orientation week and throughout high profile events during the year, the college’s history meets its present, as the diversity of the Tribe is culminated in the entity that is the story of William & Mary.

So I put the question out there:

What makes you the tribe? What event or experience made you call this place home and these people family?

“Looking around one night in Wawa and realizing that everyone I knew was in there – all buying hoagies. #OneTribeManyHoagies,” – Abby, class of 2016

“As soon as I found a group of friends that I could connect with, whether hall mates, fraternity brothers, or members of a club, I knew that I had found my place.” – Michael, class of 2019

I asked students sitting on the terrace, who were going about their days, making moments in their personal Tribe stories. As the afternoon the progressed, the people and the stories changed.

“As a William and Mary Dance Team member, I was used to being surrounded by the community at sports – related events. Although, one game – I believe against JMU – the energy was on a whole other level. Everyone was absorbed in the game, cheering and yelling. I told myself ‘this is pretty cool’.”- Kamyia, class of 2019

Many stories recounted the memories of convocation or bonding with freshman halls, during students’ first years.

“On Convocation day when we all took the pledge [in] Wren, then walked through a crowd of Tribe members who [were] giving us high fives… I was accepted.”- Leah, class of 2019

“[I am the tribe because of] the bonding with my freshman hall mates at orientation and through the year.” – Jaire, class of 2019

Other stories were legacies.

“I’ve been the Tribe since day one. My parents met here 32 years ago. It was destiny!” – Marie, class of 2016

In all honesty the question of the “Tribe Story” has a continuing answer. William & Mary has over 300 years’ worth of chapters in this epic story, and because of this institution’s no bullshit policy, it will undoubtedly have 300 more.

The Tribe Story is one of change, family, acceptance, honesty, and genuineness. These five qualities are what’s going to make William and May have a lasting story.

“You can’t be your best self until you find your tribe.” – Jasmine, class of 2018

The Tribe speaks (other responses to the question What makes you the Tribe?):

“My friends!”

“Blowout, Nam, Sparkles, and Princesses.”

“The screening of The Room at the Kimball Theatre.”

“The ability to be a part of a lot of student organizations that are full of diverse people.”

“The tribe is a coalition of fragmented epitomes and idiosyncrasies unilaterally confounded and unapologetically devoted to three pillars: studies, friendship and community.”

William & Mary: College of William and Mary