One Tribe living the dream

Our hard work paid off when both men’s and women’s swim teams won the CAA championship

This year was one faced with lots of adversity, but like true champions the William & Mary swim team rose above and dominated the CAA Championships. Filling the air with loud cheers and chanting, both teams did the unthinkable and accomplished their dream: Winning two championship titles.

Last year in 2015, the men’s team won their first ever championship title. It was one of the most exciting moments for the team. Watching as the men yelled and jumped in the air during the final relay, realizing their victory. There were tears of joy and pure happiness filling everyone’s eyes.

They had the look of satisfaction as they held the shiny gold trophy above their heads while chanting words of victory. The women’s team watched from the side of the pool, being dubbed the photographers of this event, capturing the men jumping victoriously into the pool. In that moment, I think the women all decided we had it in us to do anything we could to win our own trophy next year…and we did.

This year, when the final relay was finished, and the scores were presented on the scoreboard the feeling on the pool deck was indescribable. I was filled with so much happiness and love for my team. Realizing we had achieved our dreams and goals for the year, and all of our hard work had paid off.

Those mornings when 6am practice seemed impossible, it was all worth it in this moment. We held two trophies above our heads, gleaming in victory and happiness. Then as one big team, like something out of a movie, the men and women jumped victoriously into the pool. Laughing, crying, and screaming cheers at the top of my lungs we had accomplished something William & Mary swimming never has.

Both men’s and women’s swimming won the championship title at the same time. Even though the current of everyone huddling together almost drowned me, that moment where we all swam around yelling of victory was one of the happiest moments of my life.

When everyone thinks of a Division I athletic team, thoughts of scholarships, fancy apparel, benefits, and gorgeous facilities flash in their minds. Don’t be fooled by this: the William & Mary swim team runs on no scholarships, very little funding for fancy apparel, and one of the oldest pools on the East Coast.

With the lack of benefits exhibited, that does not stop our team from showing up 20 hours a week for practice. I admire the hard work our teams puts in week after week, everyone shows up with excitement and positive energy. I think our team is driven by that positive energy that every person brings to practice.

Our team also has an incredible bond, built upon hours of intense practice, sweat, and laughter. We are much closer than a large weird group of friends, we are a family. Even my bond with the coaches is a unique one – it must be hard to motivate someone to swim back and forth for hours.

However, our coaches jump up and down and fill the air with motivation that keeps everyone going. At the end of a hard workout it’s always enjoyable having a coach to joke around with and be able to talk to. I think all of this is what makes us special – we all show up and work our hardest and are happy to do it. No one is driven by a full scholarship to show up to that 6am lift, we want to do it because we want to be better. This is what made it so special when both teams held up those trophies at the end of the meet.

William & Mary: College of William and Mary