BREAKING: Wake Forest volleyball coach resigns, investigation launched

More to follow

UPDATE

An investigation has been launched into the treatment of players on the Wake Forest volleyball team, it was announced yesterday.

President Nathan Hatch announced the investigation in a statement published in the Winston-Salem Journal yesterday.

He said: “My top priority is the well-being of all Wake Forest students. To that end, I am appointing a committee from the administration and faculty to review the ongoing treatment of players on the Wake Forest volleyball team. This review is being done with full support of the Athletics Department.

“Complaints made by volleyball players and parents in 2014 were immediately investigated. In early 2015, a decision was made that the Athletics Department develop a plan, which it shared with players and parents, to address concerns. It is my intent that the current review is completed as soon as possible.”

In light of the coach’s decision to resign, the committee as envisioned will not move forward.

Wake Forest has now released a statement officially announcing Murczek’s resignation.

They said: “Wake Forest volleyball coach Ken Murczek has resigned. Wake Forest Athletic Director Ron Wellman made the announcement this afternoon.

“I accepted Coach Murczek’s resignation earlier today,” said Wellman. “Our goal will be to build a winning program and one that can consistently compete for the Atlantic Coast Conference championship.”

“I am grateful for the opportunity I was given to be the head volleyball coach at Wake Forest University,” said Murczek. “I feel the program has a solid foundation for future success. I love coaching. I care deeply about the student-athletes currently in the gym. They have worked incredibly hard and I believe they will be rewarded in the fall.

“My family and I wish to thank all of the members of the Wake Forest and Winston-Salem community who have supported us during our time here,” added Murczek.

Assistant coach Lindsay Allman will serve as the interim head coach.

The search for a new volleyball coach will begin immediately.

Volleyball Coach Ken Murczek has resigned, The Tab has learned.

The university has yet to release an official statement, although the volleyball team has been notified.

We have contacted Wake Forest athletics for comment.

In 2015, Wake Forest played 20 games and won 12.

Earlier this month, The Tab published a story by former volleyball player who left the team.

Wake Forest