I smashed a scale to help bring awareness to eating disorders

It’s more than just therapeutic

To raise awareness and combat eating disorders, a non-profit organization know as Southern Smash, markets itself in “Raising Eating Disorder Awareness a Smash at a Time.”

McCall Dempsey, founder of Southern Smash, is a survivor of an eating disorder. She wanted to create an organization in which she rejected this idea of “new normal” and instead, promoted self-worth. Southern Smash holds events throughout the country, from conferences to events.

One of the most noteworthy events is a scale smash – one of which was hosted on Wake’s very own campus.

Under the leadership of Thrive, WFU held their own Southern Smash Monday afternoon on Davis Field.

Freshman Caroline Friezo, coordinator of the event, discussed why she brought the Southern Smash to Wake. She said: “As chair of the Nutrition and Mindful Consumption Peer Educator Group for THRIVE, I wanted to help plan a program to address an issue on our campus that often goes unnoticed. Eating disorders are prevalent on all college campuses, Wake Forest included, and it’s important to show those struggling that the community supports them.

“The idea behind the scale smash was to promote body positivity and help members of the community recognize that beauty and health are much more than just a number.”

The event consisted of four parts. To begin, participants wrote something they loved about themselves and continued by writing something to ‘let go’—a number which would no longer defined them.

Then, each participant created a tombstone for their scale.

The final step was to decorate a scale with words, phrases and pictures. Students worked together to design the scale and upon completion, wrapped the scale in plastic and smashed the scale.

As having observed students smash a scale with a sledge hammer, a sense of relief resided. The students I spoke to commented on how good they felt to have released their feelings about their weight and societal pressures to fit a body paradigm.

Samantha Schoenl reflected on her experience at the Southern Smash, and said: “I think it’s important to acknowledge body issues and remind yourself of what true health is.”

Southern Smash is an empowering organization which promotes true health, a topic focusing on maintaining healthy eating and exercise habits. Madeline Fox agrees, and added: “I thought it was a really good program because a lot of people live their lives based on a scale, and as long as you are living a healthy lifestyle, the number on the scale is meaningless.”

With such a positive response to the event, Wake Forest hopes to hold an annual Southern Smash to remind students they are more than a number. There is more to them than a reflection.

Who they are, what they stand for—that’s what is meaningful.

Wake Forest