University shows support after presidential election

‘Many in our community, and many among us, are waking up with fear, anxiety, concern, questions, and confusion’

This morning, an email was sent out by Patricia Smith, the director of the Intercultural Engagement Center, following the results of the presidential election. In this email, she reminds students, colleagues and friends to be aware of each other and each other’s emotions at this time in our nation’s history.

She began the email saying, “Many in our community, and many among us, are waking up with fear, anxiety, concern, questions, and confusion among many other emotions,” and included a list of several resources for students to use.

Excerpt from Patricia Smith email

It’s no wonder why she felt an email such as this was necessary. After such a controversial election, either outcome would have been devastating for many students. After this section of the email, Smith encouraged those who felt the need to keep to themselves to do as they feel is best for their own wellbeing. Today, campus seems eerily quiet compared to its usual buzz, hinting that many might have followed her advice. She also invited students to the #VTUnfinished event taking place at the War Memorial Chapel earlier this afternoon so that stories could be shared and feelings would be released.

Smith isn’t the only one showing her support for the Hokie community. This tweet posted by Dr. Patty Perillo, the Vice President for Student Affairs at Virginia Tech, reminds students once more that they have a place to go during these times.

Virginia Tech