How to have a fun fall break without going back home

There’s plenty to do in Blacksburg

Fall break is only a three day weekend, which makes it difficult for some people to trek back to their hometown. For those people who can’t or don’t want to go back home, there are still a few ways to spend your time off.

Stay in Blacksburg

This is home. Blacksburg in the fall is beautiful, so why leave? Venture out and explore all there is to offer. Whether it’s hiking on McAfee’s Knob or indulging in dinner at the Homeplace, a weekend at Virginia Tech is always time well-spent.

Spend a day in Roanoke

Roanoke is famous for it’s tourist attractions. Spend a day strolling the streets, exploring the museums and hiking up to the notorious star that lights up the city.

Visit another college

It’s good to see old friends even if it’s in enemy territory

With so many great schools in Virginia, it’s easy to find a friend at any of the universities close by. Radford University is only a short bus ride away. James Madison University and University of Virginia are a quick two hour drive, and George Mason University is just four hours away, and its proximity to D.C. makes it an ideal weekend destination.

Stay with a friend

Get a glimpse of how your friends from Virginia Tech grew up. Ask a best friend who lives nearby to take your home with them. Take a tour of their high school, local mall, favorite restaurant and end the day with a home-cooked meal with their family. Make sure to ask to see embarrassing pictures and hear funny stories about them that you can then share back in Blacksburg.

Virginia Tech