Virginia Tech Dance Marathon is re-defining ‘Ut Prosim’

What’s a better way to give back than by dancing?

What is better than knowing you made an impact by just dancing your way there? Virginia Tech is known for its exceptional philanthropic students and its dedication to give back to the local Blacksburg community. One of the most promising and impactful organizations that is acquiring growing praise and recognition is the Virginia Tech Dance Marathon.

The upcoming event encourages all Virginia Tech students to apply the schools motto “Ut Prosim” to make an impact on the wellbeing and happiness in the local community. All of the organization’s proceeds go towards the Miracle Children at the Carillion Children’s Hospital. The event provides a fun and exciting atmosphere that includes dance and a cappella performances, a Lip Sync Battle, Club DM Hour, Zumba and the chance to meet the Miracle Children who the proceeds are going towards.

Dance Marathon’s executive director Kimberly Clark speaks to her passion of sponsoring these Miracle Kids.

“Everything we do is for these miracle kids who directly benefit from our fundraising through the Children’s Miracle Network,” Clark Said. “There are no words to explain the emotions surrounding the event or its participants. Sometimes, the funds provide a toy that distracts from an invasive procedure. Sometimes, it funds technology for new treatments previously unavailable. Sometimes, it pays for research resulting in groundbreaking discoveries. In all cases, the work done and the money raised provide a warm hand reaching out to patients who often feel alone and afraid.”

Dance Marathon raised just over $10,000 last year, and their fundraising is projected to double this year. Much attention has been paid towards Dance Marathon because of similar organization’s successes at other schools such as Penn State’s THON. Many Virginia Tech students have voiced opinions about their hope to make Dance Marathon a larger, more prominent event with “Ut Prosim” as it’s backbone. Clark furthers her belief in the organization’s future.

“I think Virginia Tech and the spirit of ‘Ut Prosim’ fosters the perfect environment for Dance Marathon to really make a difference in the lives of families who look to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals like Carillion’s for help. Hokies love to have fun, Hokies love to give back, I can’t see a better representation of ‘Ut Prosim’ and who we are as a community other than Dance Marathon.”

The Dance Marathon gives Hokies the perfect opportunity to give back to their local community in a truly special way. On November 11th from 6pm to midnight, be sure to check out the Dance Marathon in Squires – it’s FOR THE KIDS!

Virginia Tech