Strange classes you had no idea VT offered

Buying textbooks is easy when Harry Potter is your required reading

College is a time to get out of your comfort zone: try new things, make new friends and experiment with classes outside your major.

Luckily, Virginia Tech offers some pretty one-of-a-kind courses.

Beginning Jumping

Not your typical classwork

The Animal and Poultry Sciences department offers an introductory course about jumping. Surprisingly enough, the class has nothing to do with trampolines. I know, I was disappointed too. This equestrian course was created to teach students some basic skills and tricks when riding horses. It requires a non-refundable fee of $1,000. B.Y.O.H. (Bring Your Own Horse).

Harry Potter Phenomenon

Red hair, and a hand-me-down Harry Potter book? She must be a Weasley

Virginia Tech offers a way to dive deep into your favorite childhood series. Spend your semester identifying themes and concepts out of J.K. Rowling’s famous novels. Buying textbooks becomes less painful when The Half-Blood Prince< is on your list of required readings.

Brewing Science and Technology

OK now this class just sounds like every frat guys’ dream come true. Learn what it takes to make all types of beers and hard ciders. Being a lab, the class is nearly three hours long, but how bad could it be to spend three hours of your day tasting beers? You know that’s how you waste most nights regardless, only now you can earn college credit too.

Wines and Vines

No underaged Hokies were used in the making of this picture

Just like the beer brewing class, but with more class – making and tasting wines in the convenient location of Smyth Hall. Wait until Thanksgiving when you can impress your family by describing your mom’s favorite wine by its oaky aroma. One restriction: 21 and up only.

Shadow Puppetry for Theater

The theater department has a unique program in which students cycle through multiple classes during the course of a semester. Students utilize this program to build their resumes by gaining experience in as many sub-genres of theater as possible. Students can choose between courses ranging from ballet to costume crafts to shadow puppetry. Sadly, this is only offered to Theater Arts majors.

Floral Design

This lab teaches students strategies and techniques for creating floral arrangements for bouquets and gardens. Not to mention it fulfills area six. Make a bouquet for your mom or your roommate. Hell, you can even make one for yourself – you deserve it.

Racquetball

For those people who miss high school gym class, don’t fret. The Human Nutrition, Foods and Exercise department offers a number of unique electives such as racquetball, intro to caving and weight training. Whether you’re indulging in your workout addiction or forcing yourself to get some motivation to get healthy, this class is sure to combine fun with finals.

Virginia Tech