The do’s and don’ts of Hokie football

Game day and weddings: the only times it’s socially acceptable to do the Hokie Pokie

Hokie football games will be some of the best memories of your college experience, but there are a few things you should know so you can have the best time while there.

Do:

Wear maroon, orange or white

Last game was the white out, and our next home game is the orange effect game. Make sure to wear your best Hokie gear so that our stadium can show our Hokie pride.

Jump to Enter Sandman

This is a long-standing tradition at Virginia Tech, and nothing beats jumping to Enter Sandman with thousands of your peers. Your legs will definitely get sore from jumping, but it’s a quick little workout and nothing makes a Hokie more excited for a football game.

Learn the Hokie cheers

There are a lot of cheers that Hokie fans yell at the game (Let’s go… Hokies, Stick it in, You can’t do that, etc.). You don’t want to be the only one who doesn’t know them. Yell as loudly as you can (don’t worry, everyone loses their voice after a game). Cheers make the atmosphere a lot more fun, and helps give our Hokie players motivation on the field.

Do the Hokie Pokie

This might seem like a silly little dance you did in kindergarten, but at Tech, it’s not just for kids. You may look silly, but if you’re a Hokie, how can you NOT do the Hokie Pokie?

Stay for the halftime show

Marching bands may not be the most exciting thing in the world and are probably not the reason you came to the football game in the first place, but the Marching Virginians is not an ordinary marching band. They always make their routine fun by marching in creative shapes and playing fun songs, and if you miss the halftime show you are definitely missing out.

Bring your family

Hokie football is a family event. Alumni come back for games all the time, and often bring their kids. My parents didn’t go to Tech, but they love coming for games. Going to games with your family makes the experience that much more fun, and everyone is sure to have fun.

Don’t:

Forget to bring a clear or small bag

The new clear bag policy for Lane Stadium is rather annoying, but luckily if you don’t have a clear bag (most people don’t) you can bring a bag that is 4.5″ by 6.5″.

Forget your keys

On third down (the key play), everyone takes out their keys and shakes them in the air. Don’t be that person (AKA me) who forgets to bring their keys to the game.

Leave the sunscreen at home

I’ve learned this lesson the hard way. As a college student getting ready for a football game, sunscreen is probably the last thing you would think of. But trust me, you do not want to forget sunscreen when at a Hokie football game. I’ve had and seen way too many weird tan lines and sunburns (the worst is when you get your VT sticker burnt onto your cheek). Avoid the pain and put sunscreen on before you regret it.

Virginia Tech