Homecoming is about more than the ‘popular kids’ at Virginia Tech

Bringing Ut Prosim to an age-old popularity contest

Who was chosen as the Homecoming King and Queen at your high school? Was it the “popular” kids, or was it the kids who wanted to use their status for something bigger than themselves? My guess is that it was the popular kids. Traditionally, homecoming court has been a large-scale popularity contest. Even on the collegiate level, the only thing the Homecoming King and Queen win are bragging rights and a pretty crown. Virginia Tech’s homecoming ran this way for a long time, until last year.

In 2015, the Homecoming Board decided to change things up. They realized that the student body was getting tired of voting for a king and queen, usually supported by their Greek organization on campus. So they created a new system. Students still campaign and vote for a king and queen, who will be announced at halftime of the Homecoming football game.

But a lot of changes were made to ensure that Homecoming Court is about more than who’s who on campus. Tina Wye, Treasurer of the Homecoming Board, said, “The change definitely gives small organizations and groups with a cause a reason to run.”

Every candidate must now run on a platform, usually advocating some philanthropy or social change movement. Candidates are still supported by organizations on campus, but running on a platform gives students not in an organization a reason to support someone they don’t have a personal connection too.

The winning king and queen are given $1,000 each to give back to the community through their proposed event. Some of this year’s proposed events include a cook-off benefitting the hungry, teaching elementary school children about preserving the environment and hosting career fairs for elementary students.

This change is especially helpful to candidates not supported by Greek organizations (who are usually some of the largest organizations on campus). Katie Talley, a Homecoming candidate supported by a non-profit organization on campus, FEARless, found this especially helpful. “I think the new service aspects required of Homecoming candidates better reflects our university’s image,” said Katie. “We as students try our best to live by ‘Ut Prosim,’ so I think having Homecoming candidates base their platforms off of service makes Homecoming more accessible and welcoming to more Hokies.”

In my opinion, the changes implemented help to modernize an old tradition, and make it more applicable to the student body. Most students really don’t care about who wins homecoming, but now that the winning candidates host community events, Homecoming is less of an abstraction. It is now something students can truly put their support behind to help make critical changes in our society that they care about.

Virginia Tech